Fish dead within two days!! Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Fishyfriends11

Reaction score
hello, Iā€™m a beginner with tropical fish. Iā€™ve wanted fish for a while and had some space on my desk so I decided to buy a small tank to hold a few small fish, I bought a 22 litre tank with Light , heater ( set it up at 26 degrees ) and filter, I set it up last weekend and used tap water then added water conditioner and washed the gravel and artificial plants before adding to tank, let the tank run for 4 days then went to buy some fish, decided to buy 2 electric blue rams ( at this point I didnā€™t know they were sensitive fish to keep or I wouldnā€™t of bought them ) , I cut open their bag and let it sit in the tank so they didnā€™t get a temperature shock, they seemed fine but I noticed they tended to swim at the bottom of tank, but they were both eating so I assumed that was normal because they were new, two days later one of the fish is dead, not sure exactly why, could someone please help me, very confsued, thank you

hello, Iā€™m a beginner with tropical fish. Iā€™ve wanted fish for a while and had some space on my desk so I decided to buy a small tank to hold a few small fish, I bought a 22 litre tank with Light , heater ( set it up at 26 degrees ) and filter, I set it up last weekend and used tap water then added water conditioner and washed the gravel and artificial plants before adding to tank, let the tank run for 4 days then went to buy some fish, decided to buy 2 electric blue rams ( at this point I didnā€™t know they were sensitive fish to keep or I wouldnā€™t of bought them ) , I cut open their bag and let it sit in the tank so they didnā€™t get a temperature shock, they seemed fine but I noticed they tended to swim at the bottom of tank, but they were both eating so I assumed that was normal because they were new, two days later one of the fish is dead, not sure exactly why, could someone please help me, very confsued, thank you

The most likely answer is that your tank had not fully cycled yet. On average you need to wait close to two weeks before adding fish in order to allow the population of beneficial bacteria in your filter to multiply in order to break down any waste produced by your fish. Two weeks is an average in my experience and of course every tank is different.

The reason it is important to wait for your tank to fully cycle is to ensure that the filter can cope with the amount of waste come from the fish as well as any excess food or decaying organic matter. Thus preventing the build up of ammonia and nitrite in the aquarium which are both highly toxic.

I believe it is likely that when you added the fish water quality was likely not an issue however after feeding the fish. the fish will have to put it bluntly pooped and this along with any of the uneaten food will have caused an ammonia spike which could not be Removed by the filter as it did not contain enough beneficial bacteria resulting in the loss of your ram.

Just remember this might not be the case it is just my best guess given the information provided.

And also that we all make mistakes and what is important is that we learn from them to provide our fish with the best home possible.

If you need any more help don't hesitate to ask

good luck

I bought a 22 litre tank with Light
2 electric blue ram
You tank is way too small for rams, I suggest you return them if you can because they will die in that tank.

Your problem is your tank is not cycled, and the fish are suffering from ammonia poisoning,

Waiting two weeks will grow no more bacteria than waiting 4 days.

You have two problems - the tank was not cycled and the tank is too small for anything but a single betta. There is possibly another problem - if you have hard water, it would stress soft water rams.

22 litres is a very small tank and rams need a much bigger tank than this. They also have to be carefully chosen as 2 males will fight, particularly in a small tank; a male and female who have not chosen each other will also probably fight.
In a tank this size I would keep only a single betta (siamese fighting fish) either male or female. But only after the tank has been cycled.

Cycling is the process of growing bacteria to remove the ammonia excreted by the fish. It takes several weeks, and ammonia solution needs to be added to the tank to simulate fish waste to get the bacteria to grow.
This link explains the process more fully, and why we need to do it. http://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/
If the second ram is still alive, I would return it to the shop and do a fishless cycle. Then buy a betta.

Live plants are much better than fake ones. They don't have to be rooted in the substrate - my tank is full of plants that can be attached to decor.

The most likely answer is that your tank had not fully cycled yet. On average you need to wait close to two weeks before adding fish in order to allow the population of beneficial bacteria in your filter to multiply in order to break down any waste produced by your fish. Two weeks is an average in my experience and of course every tank is different.

The reason it is important to wait for your tank to fully cycle is to ensure that the filter can cope with the amount of waste come from the fish as well as any excess food or decaying organic matter. Thus preventing the build up of ammonia and nitrite in the aquarium which are both highly toxic.

I believe it is likely that when you added the fish water quality was likely not an issue however after feeding the fish. the fish will have to put it bluntly pooped and this along with any of the uneaten food will have caused an ammonia spike which could not be Removed by the filter as it did not contain enough beneficial bacteria resulting in the loss of your ram.

Just remember this might not be the case it is just my best guess given the information provided.

And also that we all make mistakes and what is important is that we learn from them to provide our fish with the best home possible.

If you need any more help don't hesitate to ask

good luck
Thank you for your reply, I will remeber to let my tank cycle for 2 weeks before adding fish in the future

You tank is way too small for rams, I suggest you return them if you can because they will die in that tank.

Your problem is your tank is not cycled, and the fish are suffering from ammonia poisoning,
Thanks for your reply, what fish would you recommend for a small tank and the shop told me to wait 3 days, Iā€™ll make sure to let it cycle next time

Waiting two weeks will grow no more bacteria than waiting 4 days.

You have two problems - the tank was not cycled and the tank is too small for anything but a single betta. There is possibly another problem - if you have hard water, it would stress soft water rams.

22 litres is a very small tank and rams need a much bigger tank than this. They also have to be carefully chosen as 2 males will fight, particularly in a small tank; a male and female who have not chosen each other will also probably fight.
In a tank this size I would keep only a single betta (siamese fighting fish) either male or female. But only after the tank has been cycled.

Cycling is the process of growing bacteria to remove the ammonia excreted by the fish. It takes several weeks, and ammonia solution needs to be added to the tank to simulate fish waste to get the bacteria to grow.
This link explains the process more fully, and why we need to do it. http://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/
If the second ram is still alive, I would return it to the shop and do a fishless cycle. Then buy a betta.

Live plants are much better than fake ones. They don't have to be rooted in the substrate - my tank is full of plants that can be attached to decor.
Thanks for you help and advice

Thank you for your reply, I will remeber to let my tank cycle for 2 weeks before adding fish in the future

Please do not do this. Waiting two weeks will not grow any more bacteria than waiting 3 days. There are a very tiny number of bacteria in the water which you put in the tank when you set it up, but you need to grow many many more than this and the only way they will multiply is if you feed them. Leaving the tank to just run will not feed them so they will not multiply. Cycling is not sitting and waiting, it means feeding the bacteria until there are enough of them to support a tankful of fish. We do this by adding ammonia from a bottle following these instructions http://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/ It takes several weeks to get a tank ready for fish.

You do not let a tank cycle; you cycle the tank.

Thanks for your reply, what fish would you recommend for a small tank and the shop told me to wait 3 days, Iā€™ll make sure to let it cycle next time

The only fish suitable for a tank this size is a single betta (siamese fighting fish) either a male or a female. Not both. Or perhaps some shrimps. It is not big enough for anything else.
Note for those who use gallons - 22 litres = 5.8 gallons.

It think you should read up on the nitrogen cycle while you are at it. Simply waiting a couple weeks won't cycle the tank, there needs to be an ammonia source for the bacteria to feed off to get the cycle going.

As for fish in a tank that small, I agree with the above. A single betta is about all you can keep.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back