Fish Breathing Very Fast

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

discus dreamer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Woke up worried
Since I did a 15% water change yesterday all of the fish seem to be breathing very fast and some spending lots of time at the surface. My gibbiceps releases the occasional bubble and then rushes to the surface. Even my malasian trumpet snails are staying visible high up in the tank when I don't normally see them at all. The only difference in my procedure was to use a gravel vac on the top cm of the gravel (got sand underneath) when i took the water out.
I suspected a lack of oxygen and angled the external filter outflow bar to get more surface agitation and have suspended CO2 addition but they still seem to be breathing fast.
the ph, nitrate and ammonia are all ok
I will clean the filter out today but I wonder if I should also add some kind of additional airation.
DD

Is it possible you had a power cut during the night therefore there was no filter to agitate the water for a few hours? If you have an airstone and pump stick this in for a while to create lots of water movement, as you've done, try and angle your external outlet for max surface agitation too.

These symptoms can also be due to ammonia poisoning too I thought.....but if your kit says no then it must be lack of oxygen..... :unsure: I hope they are alright soon

Thanks Brittlestar
have been out and bought a pump, airline and airstone and set it up. Probably useful to have it to hand and to run when I am cleaning the filter. Lots of bubbles now (and lots of noise!) Fish a bit startled by all the bubbles at the moment to see if it is having any effect. Will keep a close eye on them.
DD

whats the temprature of the tank?
as at higher temps the water hold alot less oxygen.

Temperature is ok, 24 same as usual.
thanks for the info, worth remembering if I ever have to raise the temp. to deal with white spot or something.
DD

Most reactions

Back