Fish Biting My Finger, Is That Bad?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dreamer03

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Im not sure if this molly fish thinks my hand is food or is saying "i love you" in fiah language or what. And while i thibk it is cute that while i clean the tank this molly fish follows my hand. Well idk if its putting the fiah health in any risk. And if so how can i stop the fish from biting me?

A molly's bite does not hurt, does it? The only reason I would be alarmed would be if your hands were dirty or had some chemicals on them that the fish might ingest (hand soap, laundry detergent, etc). Mollies are not the most intelligent species of fish and the only reason I can come up with is that it is being playful, maybe because it's lonely. If a Jaguar Cichlid bites your hand, (which by the way, does hurt) it is trying to say "I'm distressed" or "You're invading my space" but a molly is not territorial nor is it lble to communicate stress through communication other than fading colors or something like that. But never personal interaction.

Just a curious mollie being a goof. Nothing to worry about. Just make sure you don't have soap or any contaminants on your hands while in the tank.

my fish bite me all the time, in swarms, really they're just attacking the bubbles that get caught on my arm, sure feels weird though

My guppies nibble at anyone who puts their hands in the tank! " they know no fear!"
Same would go for mollies I suppose.

My shrimps like to clean my hands. It feels sooo good, although some of those large females have a strong grip on them.

I would say wondering if you're food or not.

I make sure to have my hands clean just cuz I know that molly will tyr to bite me. And na it doesn't hurt, it tickles if anything.  Just making sure. I have had fish who liked been pet but not oen that liked biting me. so ill just take this as an "I love you!!!!"

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back