Fish Are Losing Scales....i'm Perplexed !

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Faythee

Fish Herder
Reaction score
75 US Gallons

2 Severums
1 Opaline Gourami
3 Rainbows
3 Tinfoil Barbs
1 Sailfin Pleco
1 Pictus Cat

I noticed what looks like some scales missing from my Tinfoils quite some time back and thought it was from running into the decor since they are so crazy. Then my Rainbows look like some scales are "lifted"....not pineconing, just flipped up. My large Sev started hiding and turned dark. I am treating the tank with Coppersafe and did a 5 day round of Maracyn-2. I lost one of the Rainbows. I did see some fish scratching and flicking of fins. I do not see any white spots except for a couple on 1 Rainbow. It has been about 2 weeks. Today I come home to some scales missing from my large Sev. He is no longer hiding and color is back, but scales are falling off of my fish ! Typically the Coppersafe works within a few days. I don't know if I need to do another round of Maracyn-2, or try the original Maracyn, or put some carbon in my filter and use somthing else. Oh and my Pleco has some white marks on his tummy, like peeling off skin. I do not see anything cottony, or any redness. So weird.......Please help :-(

Looking at the Mardel chart again ....I am thinking it may be velvet and/or columnaris ? No stringy stuff......but kind of like white patches where the scales are gone ???

Can you post your water stats please.
In ammonia, niitrite, nitrate, and ph.
Can you see anything under the lifted scales as it can also be parasites. Get a magifying glass to take a closer look.
Any whiteness around the scale edges.
The whitespot were they size of grain of salt or bigger, Did the spots have any redness to them.

Nitrate: 30
Nitrite: 0
Ph: 6.5
Ammonia: 0

No whiteness around the edges. It is just flat white like a scar on your skin. No redness. The couple spots on the Rainbow does look like whitespot. I forgot to mention that a Tinfoil has small dots in an even formation, line, going from his forehead up to his dorsal. It doesn't look like whitespot. It almost looks like it is under the skin.

Coppersafe is supposed to treat all parasites. Maybe it takes longer with this type, whatever it is ? Does the Maracide work better ?

sounds like a disease called myxosporidiosis and the parasite called henneguya..all very difficult to treat.

Yes, I did run across that disease but all the symptoms do not fit.

I am starting to think the scales may be unrelated and I have a bully in my tank. I have caught my smaller Sev chasing the Tinfoils, which is odd. He seems to be unaffected by all this.

Last added to my tank was the Pleco. It has been several months but I have trouble feeding him as the others gulp it up too quick. Could he be latching on at night and sucking a few scales off ?

Also, I have a large fake wood ornament in the middle of the tank that isn't exactly smooth. If being chased, they could be scraping themselves. I'm getting that out right away.

How long did you use the coppersafe.

How long did you use the coppersafe.

Approx. 2 weeks. It lasts in the tank 30 days and I add it after water changes for the new volume of water. Maybe I didn't use enough.

When I got home there was somthing hanging on one Rainbow. It was white and looked like a loose scale, it was floaty as the fish swam, but may have been a parasite. It was on its back just above where the tail fin starts.

Nothing shows in pics.....will see if it shows on video.

I think I will try the Maracide. If I do a 30% water change and add carbon to the filter.....How long should I wait ? It specifically says not to use with other medications.

Peeling skin can be bad water quality, parasites, columnaris.
Fish can flick and rub with columnaris.
If you used a med for two weeks it should of killed the parasite.
Parasites cause bacterial infections.
Not sure what to suggest. I will ask colin t to take a look at your thread.

Is it possible to load a pic up of the sick fish.

fish rub and flick at a lot of things from poor water quality, something spilled or taken in through the any external air source or sprayed near the tank to parasites invading under the slime coat...if the coats been stripped by something then parasites take a greater hold.

as you say..it could be a multitude of problems building up...when was the last fish or plant or anything alive added?

your tank sounds overcrowded too..and a pic of the set up and a closeup of an infected fish will help too.

just now i would stop the meds for a few days and concentrate on keeping the water fresh and filters and gravel clean

I do know I need a bigger tank and have been looking for one to separate these fish for months now on CL, Etc. . Below is a fairly recent video...less than 1 month ago. They are not all fully grown and I need to find somthing soon....

Last fish added was at least 4 months ago, the Pleco. No live plants or anything. I do switch out the silk plants on occasion when I do water changes if they get frazzled looking.

that severum is it at the back? does look like hes being aggressive to the tinfoil barbs so that can cause a stress issue.

I think until you get a bigger tank to do more in the way of water changes...how often and how much are you doing now? maybe put the aggressive one back to a pet shop and buy another if you really want one when you have the room

Scales falling off fish is usually caused by bacteria or another fish. Bacterial infections can develop and become ulcers. They start out as a small red lump that develops a white centre (looks like a pimple). The white part goes and the red area gets bigger.
The other option is the pleco or another fish is latching onto them at night and chewing scales off.

The white stuff on the pleco is probably excess mucous caused by poor water quality or copper poisoning.

A picture is really needed along with the water quality in the tank. Until then I would do daily partial water changes and gravel cleans until the problem clears up. If it hasn't cleared up in a couple of weeks then I would watch the fish for nipping and bullying and possibly treat with an anti-bacterial medication. But that should be a last resort.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back