Fish And Shrimp Died- After Adding Plants

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

freshwaterfishlover

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Couple of weeks ago I started redoing my 65 Gallon tank. Over time I have added about 30 plants. I added co2 everyother day and Iron 1 a week. I have Carbon in my Filter.
Yesturday I added 1 rock cave, 2 Ludwigia, 2 Cambomba, 1 amazon Sword, 1 Marble Sword, 1 Sagittaria Subulata and 1 moss ball. Soon as I added 2 Flower Shrimp They were Strugling and died in Minutes. I thought It was because they were in the bag for 3 1/2 hours. but this Morning one of my Synodontis Catfish was dead.

I thought It was because I added Iron and it could of been to much Iron for the fish or Copper in the Iron. But now I think about it my PH was 7.4. help.

If the PH is high doing water changes would help?

I don't know about your synodontis, but a lot of plants nowadays are imported and treated with a pesticide that will kill shrimps. Plants are best quarantined for a week or two, preferably in alkaline water, to get rid of it before adding to tanks with shrimps.

That pH sounds fine; have you tested for ammonia and nitrite?

High Ph will not kill them, unless it changed suddenly maybe? What's the usual Ph and what is the rock cave made of(in case it realeased something that raised your Ph suddenly) Copper will of course kill shrimp if any came into the tank. Not sure also you acclimated the shrimp but it doesn't explain the syno cat death the next day so it could be either the rock cave causing a Ph swing, the iron/copper or the plants were treated with chemicals by the manufacturer.

I found out the problem. I did a water change on Sunday and turned down the water flow of my Canister filter and unplugged it. I plugged it back in but , did not turn the Flow back up. I touched the tubes and felt water moving so I thought it was flowing. End result 1 1/2 days later things started to die. Does this mean my cycle is ruined? It was on , but without water movement.

There's only one way of telling of your cycle's ruined, and that's to test for ammonia and nitrite.

I've done that several times, thought I plugged the filter back on, but I didn't push it down to the socket properly. The last time I only found out when I was feeding the fish the day after, the water was too cold. I hadn't plugged in the heater and one of the filters. Thanks god the tank has two filters, not even a spike of ammonia.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back