Fish All Dying For No Reason.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Platy lover

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My fish have been dying for some unknown reason. The nitrates are at 0, Ammonia 0, Ph 6.5.
I lost a guppy, clown pleco, 5 platies, 2 cory's and a DG. I did a 95% water change yesterday because of ammonia and used stress coat.

Have they all died since the water change yesterday?

Any chance they could have experienced "Old tank syndrome" i.e. the new water was so fresh compared to the water they were in that the water chemistry change made them die of shock?

Similar temp water added back to tank?

What were the ammonia and nitrite and nitrate levels before the 95% water change?

Have you had multiple bad ammonia readings on this tank?

How often did you typically test the water (eg. daily, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly etc.)?

Did these fish (a guppy, clown pleco, 5 platies, 2 cory's and a DG) get added to an immature tank/filter and so experience a "fish in cycle"?

Have they all died since the water change yesterday?

Any chance they could have experienced "Old tank syndrome" i.e. the new water was so fresh compared to the water they were in that the water chemistry change made them die of shock?

Similar temp water added back to tank?

What were the ammonia and nitrite and nitrate levels before the 95% water change?

Have you had multiple bad ammonia readings on this tank?

How often did you typically test the water (eg. daily, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly etc.)?

Did these fish (a guppy, clown pleco, 5 platies, 2 cory's and a DG) get added to an immature tank/filter and so experience a "fish in cycle"?
Thats what they probably died from, I left barely enough water to really give them room to swim around. It spiked a week ago from the filter cartridge being really really dirty, so I cleaned it by running it through water. The water was about 5 degrees cooler than the old water, Nitrates were 40ppm, the ammonia was .50, Ph, 6.5. My DG is actually still alive so I switched my halfmoon betta out of his 2.5 gallon tank and put him in the 29 gallon tank. My DG is just swimming a little in place but is upright again. My betta isn't showing any adverse side effects except flaring at himself in the aquarium glass.

If you used tap water to clean the cartridge filter a week ago, you probably lost most if not all your vital bacteria colony.

Are you using a liquid test kit or test strips to test the water? Test strips are notorious for inaccuracies.

If you used tap water to clean the cartridge filter a week ago, you probably lost most if not all your vital bacteria colony.

Are you using a liquid test kit or test strips to test the water? Test strips are notorious for inaccuracies.
I use the API liquid test kits and when I tested it a few minutes ago the readings were the same since yesterday. I am still a fish noob and I feel horrible after this latest problem my favorite fish is dead and my second favorite is clinging to life :-(

If you have definite 0.25mg/l readings or higher for ammonia or nitrite, which you could experience daily (you really need to test daily for now) while effectively "fish in cycling" now after killing your cartrisge bacteria last week, you need to do be prepared to do 50-95% water changes everyday.

Seachem Prime dechlorinator will help your wallet long term during this increased water change regime, while giving your fish a small buffer, in that overdosing upto 5x standard will lock away toxins for upto 24 hours.

If you have definite 0.25mg/l readings or higher for ammonia or nitrite, which you could experience daily (you really need to test daily for now) while effectively "fish in cycling" now after killing your cartrisge bacteria last week, you need to do be prepared to do 50-95% water changes everyday.

Seachem Prime dechlorinator will help your wallet long term during this increased water change regime, while giving your fish a small buffer, in that overdosing upto 5x standard will lock away toxins for upto 24 hours.
The ones I saved are doing pretty well even though I was forced to put them into my 2.5 gallon with a small amount of aquarium salt. even a dying fry is looking a bit better

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back