Fish Addition

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DormFishKeeper

Reaction score
Right now I've had a tiger barb for 6-9 months. He lives alone in my 2.5 gallon freshwater tank. Could I get him a friend or will he tear them up?

They are Omnivorous and in a 2.5g tank you might have territory issues, especially since ones been in there for so long on its own. Although it might also be happy to have a friend. Try putting in another of the same species a male one probably. Keep an eye on them though.

They are Omnivorous and in a 2.5g tank you might have territory issues, especially since ones been in there for so long on its own. Although it might also be happy to have a friend. Try putting in another of the same species a male one probably. Keep an eye on them though.

I started with six at college. That was really overstocked and I learned. The guy at petco wanted a fast sale. I lost three at college and one in the move. The final one ate the last one. So he hasnt been "alone" forever. Just a week or two. I should get him another male friend you think to play with?

Tiger Barbs shouldn't be kept in groups of less than 6-7. They aren't solitary fish, either. They need a lot of swimming space; you really need a minimum of a 20G long tank for a big enough group to disperse aggression amongst themselves. Best bet for a tank that small is to take the TB to the shop and get a Betta instead.

Yeah probably best to listen to Vinyl he knows his stuff. But if your gunna get another one its gotta be one of its own species, and if you got a female, it would probably get pestered by the male, and no doubt your end up with about 10 or so little ones swimming around :hyper:. If you got another male, they cant breed, and as long as they have enough space and food each, they arnt likely to fight much either.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back