First Time Seeing Fish Eggs. What Laid Them?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Psychotramp

Reaction score
We have a 65 gallon tank, fully cycled but not fully stocked. It's an upgrade from a 20 gallon which was an upgrade from a 10 gallon.
yes.gif
We've been novice aquarium people for 2 years. We've never seen eggs until now. 

Our new tank contains:

- 3 Albino Cory catfish (1 we've had for a year+ and nearly max size, 2 more recent and much smaller)
- 5 neon tetras (mix of old and recent)
- 5 glowlight tetras (recent)
- 1 mystery snail (1 year+)
- 1 or 2 ghost shrimp (We buy them and they die; we buy them; they die. But we keep trying. Two years of lots of dead ghost shrimp)

Tank stuff: 1 Marineland Penguin power filter of the correct size, 2 small sponge filters from our old tanks that have an air pump of the correct size hooked up to their tubing, sand substrate, moderately planted with live stuff, heater of correct size, fluorescent lights that the plants seem to do just fine with

In any case, I've attached a picture. They're by all three filters and on a few plants. Who laid the eggs?? Are they even fertilized? And even if they are (which I am guessing they aren't since I read that opaque = not viable), they're just going to die when they hatch, anyway, right? Thanks!

Attachments

• eggs.JPG
    eggs.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 252
going by your fish list I'd say those are cory eggs. If you leave them the tetra's will most likely eat them. You could try removing them carefully with a clean razor blade and then pop them in a clean vessel with an air stone and watch to see if they start to darken. If they start to turn brown they are fertile but if they remain white they are infertile

Yup... cory eggs.  The others are 'scatterers'.  Cories stick their eggs on glass, under leaves of plants, any surface.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back