First time Saltwater tank...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PUDincONE

Reaction score
I'm sure your guys get this all the time but I was wondering what some of the best begginer fish are from people who own them. I feel that sometime the employees at the fishstores are just trying to sell to you more then help you. I am expericenced with freshwater for sometime now , not sure if that helps me but I'm sure it couldn't hurt...thanks.

The damsels are good beginner fish but definetly not something you want in a tank as they arn't call the devil fish for nothing they will kill anything almost anything in the tank because they7 are so territorial, the tank bred clownfish are easy, most of the gobys are pretty easy like the firefish, the sixline wrasse is pretty easy, the coral beauty angel i think is pretty easy angel to keep. the cardinals are also easy.

Thanks alot CF...i was lookin at the clowns and have read they are moderate to keep so i was gonna look into them..

Also I was wonderin what size tank would you suggest for a descent size saltwater tank for a begginer that is?

29 gallons is minum it is suggested 55 gallons but with those fish that i mention they really don't neend as much swimming room as the tangs and larger angels etc. Also I personally would keep the tank bred clowns most of them are but just amking sure as the tank breds arn't pulled out of the reef little easier to keep as they have only known aquariums there hole life.

C_F

ok thanks alot, appreciate the help and am hoping to do a 30 or 45 gallon setup with some clowns.

Another good fish to start with is the royal gramma.. shy but very beautiful. if you are after clowns then try to get 2 smallish ones of the same size, then you are guarenteed a pair as one will chnge sex to female as it gets older. Clowns dont do so well on their own as they prefer the friendship of a partner. Dont make the mistake of thinking a clonw "Needs" an anemone abecause they dont and I strongly advise against purchasing one also. If you want them to host then use a Sarcophyton leather mushroom, less demanding, far easier to keep, doesnt kill fish and clowns will host in them.

As for the size of tank... get the largest you can offord to keep. this makes the whole job much easier because water perameters will remain stable far easier. If you are considering tangs as a future purchase then be warned, they need a minimum of 100 gallons to live in.

Hope this helps.

Navarre, if I was to purchase more then 2 clowns would this be a problem...would they live in a group or will 2 pair off leaving the other clown alone...and im looking into the mushroom for them...tahnks for the advice.

if we are talking common clowns then it wont be a problem. You will get a female, a male and an undeveloped sexed clown. the last clown will take the males roll should the female die and the male will take the female roll

Clowns will host with just about anything, from powerheads to mushrooms. The 2 original clowns I had in my tank before they both went carpet surfing hosted my red and orange mushrooms in my tank, and at feeding time you would see them take food and spit it at the mushrooms trying to feed them.

I believe if you put 3 clowns in a tank, 2 will pair off, and could eventually kill the third.

Thanks for the info guys...I'm probally going to do a 30 gallon saltwater tank with clowns the mushroom you suggested. I've done alot of reading on it and it sounds good...Still the only thing that is concerning me is the number of clowns, i wanted more then 2 but if it wont work out then obviously thats just how it has to be. I'm going to reaserch other fish for the clowns and look into some Live Rock but I still have alot of questions abotu that so i might just post a new thread..thansk again guys

IMO you will see a better interaction between the clowns if they are paired. they have great characters and seeing a true pair together is fantastic towatch. 3 tends to spoil the company if you get my meaning.

HOw about 2 clowns, a nice dwarf angel and a basslet? perhaps a few green chromis to give a shoaling effect also.

I understand what your saying abotu the pair...I am going to do some research on some dwarf angels because I have seen a few I was very interested in at my lfs so I just have to make sure im not gettin into sumthing i cant handle. has anyone had experince with a particular dwarf angel that they found easy to maintain for a begginer?

Out of the pygmy angels i would recomend the fireball, pygmy back or Cherub angel.

From the dwarfs i would recomend Coral beauties, Bi colours, Flame angels.

There are others but these are very popular and very colourful.

I ould be careful withLemonpeel angels as the ones ihav ehad dealings with tend to be polyp eaters.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back