First Post And Question About Lighting

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nellie1973

Reaction score
Hello to all on here, am new to fish keeping and have managed to buy a second hand 5ft tank with an aluminium hood. Both light units are not working and I need to buy a new lighting unit for my tank.

Can anyone post me some links or suggestions. LED or fluorescent tube will be considered. My tank has a large aluminium hood that has two built in light fittings and 5 other "blank" rails.

Many thanks in advance.

Neil 

I am purchasing my LED lighting off ebay. They do all lengths with and without dimmers.

Hi and welcome - nice work on going straight to a 5 footer :D

Others will do a better job of picking out your suitable lights - I'll just start it off by saying you want 1.5 to 2 watts per gallon/3.8 L

tunagirll said:
Hi and welcome - nice work on going straight to a 5 footer
biggrin.png

Others will do a better job of picking out your suitable lights - I'll just start it off by saying you want 1.5 to 2 watts per gallon/3.8 L
Couldnt resist it was £125 for tank, decorations stand and hood.

I found this:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hagen-Glo-Twin-T5-54W-Electronic-Ballast-lighting-Unit-Starter-Double-/321010173896

So I just need one of these and two T5 150cm bulbs?? I am going for artificial plant and am now 3 days into tank cycle!! Kids are choosing fish next week.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
nellie1973 said:

Hi and welcome - nice work on going straight to a 5 footer
biggrin.png

Couldnt resist it was £125 for tank, decorations stand and hood.

I found this:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hagen-Glo-Twin-T5-54W-Electronic-Ballast-lighting-Unit-Starter-Double-/321010173896

So I just need one of these and two T5 150cm bulbs?? I am going for artificial plant and am now 3 days into tank cycle!! Kids are choosing fish next week.

If you're doing artificial I'd imagine just anything would work..but good idea to get some decent lighting for if/when you decide to venture into live plants.

I know you didn't ask, since you were just questioning about lighting, but unless you got some mature media or used a reliable bottled bacteria, your tank won't be ready for fish next week :/
Have you read this? http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/

I am not at all trying to jump on you, just wanted to make sure that you know what cycling is so that you can do what's best for your fish, save yourself some stress, and possibly some heartache.

Also 
welcomeani.gif
to the forum!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, I went to a local aquatics supply and they gave me dechlorinator and two other bottles of stuff to add bacteria and condition the water.

I have bought the APi master test kit and he said 7-10 days before adding a small bunch of fish such as neon tetras.

Looking forward to adding my first bunch.
wahey.gif

nellie1973 said:
Thanks, I went to a local aquatics supply and they gave me dechlorinator and two other bottles of stuff to add bacteria and condition the water.

I have bought the APi master test kit and he said 7-10 days before adding a small bunch of fish such as neon tetras.

Looking forward to adding my first bunch.
wahey.gif
What was the bottled bacteria called? Very few actually work. The only reputable ones I've heard of are Dr. Tim's One & Only, and Tetra Safe Start.
That's great you got a liquid test kit! Really do recommend having a read of what I linked to you though, and to do a proper fish less cycle.

It'll be better for your fish, and will give you time to figure out your stocking! ^_^

Again, not trying to hound you, just want what is best. Also keep in mind that people at the LFS just want your money, and most of them do not give out proper advice. The people here just care. :)

Will try to leave it at that as I don't want to come off as overbearing. What ever you end up doing, I wish you the best!

Ninjouzata said:

Again, not trying to hound you, just want what is best. Also keep in mind that people at the LFS just want your money, and most of them do not give out proper advice. The people here just care.
smile.png

This! You may find it hard to believe, but the majority of the time, LFS give poor advice, especially with regards to starting a new tank.

Like Ninjouzata suggested, I would do read the links provided!  Its very important you understand about the nitrogen cycle and how to "cycle" a fish tank.

Do not follow this advice! If you do, your fish will most likely all die within a couple of weeks.

No worries any help is much appreciated. I'm never too proud to accept advice. Safe start is the stuff ive got. Gonna test the water tonight and see what 3 days maturation has done.

Safe Start is actually one of the very few good ones, so your lucky there. However, testing the water will mean absolutely nothing until you have a source of ammonia in the tank
smile.png

The water tests will come out perfect, but that's what you would expect as theres no fish in the tank to add ammonia!

Without adding ammonia, the bottle of bacteria is a useless waste of money and wont mature the tank in any way, as the bacteria your putting in have no food.

Basically your tank has been sitting doing nothing for 3 days.  All you need is a bottle of ammonia and you can start cycling the tank
good.gif

Ninjouzata and Three Fingers have pretty much said it all about advice from LFS, research and asking on this forums are the best methods.

As for your cycling process, you will be advised to go with fishless cycles as if you make any mistakes that will mean no fish will suffer for this.

If you do go with fishless cycle method ( 
yes.gif
 ) then you will need a source of ammonia to keep process of cycle going as should be.

FYI Ammonia sources and tips can be found on this link

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/427161-ammonia-and-bacteria-starter-sources/

Most excellent article, will nip in and get ammonia today. Many thanks to you all.

you can make your own LED's you buy the moduals and wire them up its so easy a dummy could do it lol. honnest

or posiden lighting

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back