First Gourami...is This Normal?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

squidneh

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I just recently moved up to my first 'big' tank - 45 gallons after having a few 10 gallons in the past, and a 20 gallon just before this. For a few months I had just my golden algae eater, juvenile rainbow shark, and several glass catfish all living happily together.  Feeling like the tank was a bit empty and searching for a centerpiece fish, I added 7 neon tetras and 5 green cory catfish, along with an opline gourami (which I believe is a male, and is about 3 inches currently).

Anyways, to get to the question, I know gouramis are top swimmers, as i did as much research as i could online...but my guy hangs out right in the current of the filter.  To the point that his tail is curving from the flow, and he just chills there.  Is this normal? Ive had him for about a week, and he started doing this yesterday that I have noticed.  He occasionally swims about...but mainly stays directly in the out-stream of water, with the flow pushing him around.

Also, he seems to change color depending on the time of day - at night he is a rich blue, during the day he is more like a sky blue/grey.

so, is he alright?

It could be that he stressed out by the water current. Can you adjust the filter flow?

I can't adjust the filter flow, but the current/surface agitation is only directly under the current - otherwise, it is quite calm. He just chooses that one spot as 'his spot'. perhaps I should try moving the filter to the other end?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back