First Betta- Can My Filter Be Powerful Enough To Hurt Him?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

trianglekitty

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I just got my first betta. He's in a 5 gallon tank seeded from my main community tank. The filter is a biowheel 100 that is rated for a twenty gallon tank.

I floated him for a good long time and just added him to the tank, and it looks like he's getting pushed around by the filter current. I'm worried it's just too powerful. I stuffed four or five pieces of floss in it to try and slow it down, but it didn't seem to do much. There doesn't seem to be a way to really adjust the flow.

Should I just get a different filter? I'm just really concerned he's going to get tired or stressed because he's not used to any sort of current at all. Or am I just fussing over nothing and he'll getted used to it and be fine?

Thank you for any help you provide!

Edit- I was reading back through the archives (sorry, should have done that first), and I'm going to rubberband some floss over the actual water flow. I'd do a baffle, but it wouldn't fit with the way the back of the tank is.

Hope you manage to get it sorted with the floss. It does sound like your filter is much too powerful for him at the moment. good luck :good:

Hope you manage to get it sorted with the floss. It does sound like your filter is much too powerful for him at the moment. good luck :good:

The floss worked great- he looks much happier. :) He's already being really curious and coming over to see me whenever I'm near the tank.

Most reactions

Back