The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

leongreenway

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Guys

can anyone let me know....

If I want two firemouths but do not want them to mate, whats the best, 2 males or 2 females?

Also how would the two get on with a Redtailed Black shark?? And a bull head Catfish

As long as the shark & cat were of decent size you shouldn’t have an issue.

As far as males or females...
2 males will be much more aggressive than 2 females. Male FMs are much more colorful. Females are much more docile. Which is more important to you? Do you have the tank space to facilitate territories for each male and still have ground space for the shark & cat?
Male nor female are 'better' but each will work out better in different situations.

nc_nutcase said:
As long as the shark & cat were of decent size you shouldn’t have an issue.

As far as males or females...
2 males will be much more aggressive than 2 females. Male FMs are much more colorful. Females are much more docile. Which is more important to you? Do you have the tank space to facilitate territories for each male and still have ground space for the shark & cat?
Male nor female are 'better' but each will work out better in different situations.
Color really doesn't depend on gender in firemouth.

I'm not sure aggressiveness really depends on gender either.I have females that are far more aggressive then most of the males I have...and then I have one or two males who show a fair amount of aggression but only when guarding eggs/fry.

nc_nutcase do you have experience with firemouth?

leongreenway
What size tank do you have?
Just FYI,I sincerely doubt that you will know what sex firemouth you are purchasing unless the person selling it is really knowledgeable in firemouth sexing.It is very very difficult to tell unless a pair has spawned.

I'm not familiar with catfish very much...but I did a search on the one you named.
Um...all the profiles say it reaches 10 pounds..are you aware of this?

Either way,your tank is to small for two firemouth ,that shark and that cat...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back