FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

scotta80

Reaction score
Hi All

I have 1x Male FM which is around 4 1/2 in a 200 Litre - 45 Gallon tank. Would it be OK to add smaller FM into the tank? I was also looking at adding another Cichlids species but looks to be a lot of mixed reviews. Anyone offer any good tips? I was advised Blood Parrot would be OK with the FM. Also can you put Tiger Barbs or any other schooling Fish into the tank. Thanks for your help in Advance

Tank space here is very limiting, so other cichlids with the Firemouth is not advisable. You could do shoaling fish...but not Tiger Barbs, they are almost certain to nip the fins of the sedate cichlid.

Adding a second FM is very risky. The existing male undoubtedly sees the tank as "his" and any intruder of the species will likely bee met with disdain. Starting with a group of FM, say 8, in a larger tank can work, as the species is naturally shoaling but they should be together from the first, and as I say in a larger tank.

Byron.

Tank space here is very limiting, so other cichlids with the Firemouth is not advisable. You could do shoaling fish...but not Tiger Barbs, they are almost certain to nip the fins of the sedate cichlid.

Adding a second FM is very risky. The existing male undoubtedly sees the tank as "his" and any intruder of the species will likely bee met with disdain. Starting with a group of FM, say 8, in a larger tank can work, as the species is naturally shoaling but they should be together from the first, and as I say in a larger tank.

Byron.

Hi Byron

Thanks for your knowledge, Would 6-8 Giant Danios or Giant Tetras be fine in there? Or any good suggestions?

Hi Byron

Thanks for your knowledge, Would 6-8 Giant Danios or Giant Tetras be fine in there? Or any good suggestions?

Giant danio (Devario malabaricus) need more space; also, danios in general, like barbs, tend to be active fish, and cichlids being sedate can sometimes be annoyed with all this activity, and this is worth keeping in mind especially here where there is just the one FM who can be more susceptible to such things. This is not an aggressive species by nature, but actually rather "laid back" in a sense. I'm not sure what species "Giant Tetra" refers to, or perhaps you meant a large tetra species of some sort?

If your water parameters are on the moderately hard side with a basic pH you could consider livebearers (but not small species like guppies or Endlers that may get eaten), males only to avoid dozens of fry.

If on the moderateely soft/hard side you could look at some of the more "robust" characins (tetras) like the Emperor (Nematobrycon palmeri), Blue Emperor (Inpaichthys kerri). Depending upon their initial size, if small they might get eaten, but mature fish should be OK. The Congo Tetra might be good, but this fish needs a 4-foot length tank as they do like to run relays periodically but not excessive to bother the FM, and I am assuming the 200 liter/45g is not 4 feet length. Hemigrammus pulcher is a lovely fish, not seen that often unfortunately, but mid-water and very peaceful. Some of the species in Hyphessobrycon, the disk-shaped fish like Rosy Tetra, Roberti Tetra, are beautiful with this mauve colour. Tend to remain in the lower half of the tank.

Giant danio (Devario malabaricus) need more space; also, danios in general, like barbs, tend to be active fish, and cichlids being sedate can sometimes be annoyed with all this activity, and this is worth keeping in mind especially here where there is just the one FM who can be more susceptible to such things. This is not an aggressive species by nature, but actually rather "laid back" in a sense. I'm not sure what species "Giant Tetra" refers to, or perhaps you meant a large tetra species of some sort?

If your water parameters are on the moderately hard side with a basic pH you could consider livebearers (but not small species like guppies or Endlers that may get eaten), males only to avoid dozens of fry.

If on the moderateely soft/hard side you could look at some of the more "robust" characins (tetras) like the Emperor (Nematobrycon palmeri), Blue Emperor (Inpaichthys kerri). Depending upon their initial size, if small they might get eaten, but mature fish should be OK. The Congo Tetra might be good, but this fish needs a 4-foot length tank as they do like to run relays periodically but not excessive to bother the FM, and I am assuming the 200 liter/45g is not 4 feet length. Hemigrammus pulcher is a lovely fish, not seen that often unfortunately, but mid-water and very peaceful. Some of the species in Hyphessobrycon, the disk-shaped fish like Rosy Tetra, Roberti Tetra, are beautiful with this mauve colour. Tend to remain in the lower half of the tank.

Hi Byron

I ended up buying Pentazona Barbs. Unfortunately lost 2 of the 5 during the night. They didn't seem to have been eaten or harassed by the FM. One seemed to be lodged in the back of the filter. Been watching them today and the FM looks to be fine with them swimming around and hasn't chased them away if they swim close by. I will wait and see what happens in the next few days. If all seems to be well. I will purchase a few more Barbs to keep them in a nice size group. Thanks for your help and hope all works out. Really love the FM and don't really want to re-home him.

Hi Byron

I ended up buying Pentazona Barbs. Unfortunately lost 2 of the 5 during the night. They didn't seem to have been eaten or harassed by the FM. One seemed to be lodged in the back of the filter. Been watching them today and the FM looks to be fine with them swimming around and hasn't chased them away if they swim close by. I will wait and see what happens in the next few days. If all seems to be well. I will purchase a few more Barbs to keep them in a nice size group. Thanks for your help and hope all works out. Really love the FM and don't really want to re-home him.

Demise of the two barbs could be one of several things. Moving forward, this is a nice barb, in a group of 8 or more. So while I understand you not wanting to get more, the lone three are now under stress from the group size (there are scientific studies proving this) and may well become aggressive, something that cannot later be reversed. This is why all intended numbers in a shoaling species should bee added together.

Byron.

Definitely understand on the group size. All going well I will purchase another 5 in a few days time to put the group up to 8. The FM looks fine with them so hopefully it was just one of those things with the 2 passing. I will let you know how everything goes. Again thanks for all your great information.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back