Finding The Right Balance

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Countrylovin4evr

Reaction score
So I have a 30 gal tank planted. I have a nice chunk of Christmas moss and I know that it likes temps best around 77F. I have Neon and Black Neon tetras in the tank. 7-8 of each. Not the biggest of school but seems to be what I can keep in there without losing one. Every time I add 2 I lose one of either species to something or another.. last time was a bout with ick thanks to purchasing sick fish and stupidly not have quarenteen tank.
So I'm still nervous about ick and having temps too low but I don't want them too high either. I used to keep my tanks around 80 because I never had sick fish when I did, and I noticed during the ick treatments my neons came out more with warmer temps. But my christmas moss suffered and was not as neat as I like the leaves so I lowered back to 78ish now that all are well. I have added floating plants to shade parts of tank for neons thinking that might help. ANd it doesn't matter how many I have of the neons they hide all the time. In a pretty green tank I can barely see them even with my dark substrate and green background. My black neons and glo fish of course come out and see them easily.  Should I  up the temp a bit and try to find a happy medium for fish and moss? What would work best? Any experience with neons liking it warmer?  My moss has recovered well since I also had salt in tank for ick cureing and all plants took a hit... but saved all my fish cept for 2 that I bought sick. So whoo hoo!! 

Note that I also have cories and somewhere some otos that hide in the christmas moss a lot and on my driftwood. 

The problem is that the Glofish(R) don't like warmer water - the natural fish from which the Glofish(R) were made come from hillside streams, which are much cooler than the water that neons come from.

I suspect that the neons are feeling threatened by something. Is it just the moss that you have, plant-wise? You may well find that if you increase the plant cover available, they will feel more comfortable (knowing they can hide if they need to) and therefore be more willing to be out and about. I haven't come across this with Neons previously, but some other species, like Celestial Pearl Danios, and Chilli Rasboras, it is definitely the case with.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back