Finally I Found Some

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Whoo!

Thats some great news :)

Love the little blue eyes, always a nice fish to see. Some of my LFS do stock them occassionally and have been tempted by them on several occassions but never have got them yet so far.

The nerite snails are real nice too, nice markings, as Tcamos says, they are pretty adaptable in either fw or sw, just cannot breed in fw is all, perhaps can get them to breed in a brackish tank.....hmmm........project forming in my head...........

:lol:

I did have nerites one other time, huge olive nerites but over time they died for no apparent reason, no shell degregation they just died
Dunno.gif
 never even looked at roaming out of the tank they where in.
I did know that salt and brackish nerites  can not  successfully raise young in fresh water, which is a good thing in some regards but also a downer on others since it means to replace them I would always have to collect more from the wild. I don't know if true fresh water species of nerites manage to breed in fresh water. But I am not likely to ever get my hands on fresh water nerites, all inverts are banned from being imported and the only Australian ones I know of are in Western Australia and not in the fish trade.

I do love Blue Eyes to see there stunning eyes in a group is amazing, and then the nice breeding colours of a displaying or sparring male, is fantastic. Pacific Blue Eyes I am pretty sure are the largest species of Blue Eye, but I do also like the much smaller Spotted Blue Eyes and eventually I hope to get some Honey Blue Eyes. However Honey Blue Eyes are not sold only traded with people who intend to breed them for the survival of a critically endangered species in the wild.

Love them!! I absolutely love Spotted Blue Eyes and am still considering a giant group of them in a heavily planted high tech tank for down the road. Hopefully they would be breeding a self-sufficient colony! I'm jealous of your natives!

I have a tank of spotted blue eyes LOVE em, they are in with most of my dwarf native shrimp, a great little peaceful fish.
What I alway find funny, when I tell people I have native fish they straight away assume Barra, Mangrove Jacks, Murray Cod and other tank busting aggressive fish and always forget about the the little natives.

That finnage is stunning. 

I was lucky being able to get pretty clear shots of the Spotted Blue Eye boys, but no matter how hard I try I can not get the Pacific Blue Eye boys sparring they whip about the tank far to fast and appear as just streaking blurs. Also the Threadfin Rainbows are hell to get decent displaying photos of.

I'm really pleased with how these nerite snails have turned out now their shells are not algae covered, I can only ever find 2 in the tank (number 3 could be there somewhere just not seeing it), and they have been very busy laying eggs all over the tank.

I think they are called Tiger Nerites.

Baccus said:
I have a tank of spotted blue eyes LOVE em, they are in with most of my dwarf native shrimp, a great little peaceful fish.
What I alway find funny, when I tell people I have native fish they straight away assume Barra, Mangrove Jacks, Murray Cod and other tank busting aggressive fish and always forget about the the little natives.

I have heard that these breed fairly well in captivity too. Have you found this to be true??

Tried researching Tiger Nerite Snails, not much luck and keep getting Tracked or Zebra Nerite snail which have completely different colourings/markings
confused.gif

Anyway, sure looks nice and how big are these guys?

Those spotted blue eyes still doing good? Bet they have coloured up nicely and doing lots of flaring
wink.png

My Spotted Blue Eyes seem to breed quite readily, in fact just yesterday I spied another two new young fry. They dont seem to be overly prolific breeders like live bearers but they do keep plodding along and supplying new babies and gradually increasing their shoal number.

The Pacific Blue Eyes are starting to colour up, I think they where all still fairly young, but they certainly have learnt that a person in front of the tank means food. The others I put in the pond seem to have settled in with the endlers and gudgeons, but the pond is so over grown you only see fleeting glances of any of the fish.

As for the nerites they seem happy enough even if I have no idea what exact species they are.

Oh and I just found a snail species that has gone fast to my list of I WANT!!!! They are called clusterwinks (Hinea brasilina) and they GLOW
ohmy.png
.​

Most reactions

Back