Fin Rot And Antibiotic Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

allthemaples

Reaction score
Hi! I have a 9 month old guppy that came down with fin/tail rot. I got a jar of Melafix, and it says to add this to the water once a day for 7 days. I'm adding 1/2 teaspoon because I have a 5 gallon tank. He seems to be doing better on day 2 - I can actually see his fins regenerating, and he's not struggling quite as much. I have one of those set in filters with the blue mesh on top of charcoal beads. I took that out, because it said to remove activated charcoal filters ...(?)

Should I continue follow this prescription as it is indicated on the jar? It recommends a 25% water change after the 7th day.

I think one of my snails died. Would this additive have killed him?

It sounds like you are doing it right. I recently went through a 7 day dosing in my 300l tank and it worked wonders. The only thing that you might want to do is to add an airstone to increase the oxygen levels in the tank. I doubt that the melafix would have killed your snails; as far as I know it is just tea tree oil.

melafix seems to cure any fin tears/damage with my fish, so yeh, best thing for it in my exp. and i just poured a bit in when i noticed a gammy fin (normally from new stock) and that did the job, dunno about the whole add x amount for x days then w/c or whatever it says on the bottle.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back