Fin Nipping: Who's the culprit: Guppy or Molly

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Professor Plum

Reaction score
Hi,
My son, now in college, brought home a tank with 2 female mollies, (one is quite the Ms. Bossy Boots), and two male guppies, (Colonel Mustard and Professor Plum). They were fine until tonight, I noticed Colonel Mustard's tale half gone. He was cowering near the heater in the corner, (fear?). What to do? I don't have the means to quarantine him. Please advise.

Prof Plumb is the culprit.

Hi, NickAu. Professor Plum is a guppy. I just isolated that bossy black molly. I should have waited for your response. Thank you. It's nice to have a fishy pal.

Hi, NickAu, How did you know? I just isolated the guppy culprit. Thank you again.

Male guppies are best kept in larger numbers, and almost always in odd numbers. A single male will attack a second male in order to claim dominance and breeding privileges. Guppies are lovely fish, and generally quite mild mannered. The exception to that is having a pair of males. They will establish a pecking order and one invariably loses. Having an odd number allows them to be more distracted and spreads any aggression out amongst a wider audience. The simplest solution would be to get 3 or 5 more male guppies (assuming you have sufficient space in the tank - see below) adding the 'aggressive' one back to the tank last.

Then you should see them squaring up and flaring from time to time, but with a larger group it is very unlikely to go much beyond that.

How big is the tank? Mollies shouldn't be kept in anything smaller than 30 gallons, maybe a 20 Gallon LONG tank. If this is a 20 gallon long or a 30, you shouldn't have any problems adding the new fish, assuming that the tank has been running for a while, and that there aren't other inhabitants you failed to mention in the tank adding to the bioload.

Thank you, Eagles. This is my son's aquarium. It's only 5 gallons, and yes, I know it should be bigger. My teenaged son surprised me with the tank and 2 female mollies and 2 male guppies in March. They all got along well until yesterday, I noticed Colonel Mustard (male guppy) without half of his tale, hiding in the corner of the tank. I just isolated the other guppy today, will wait a few days to see if he is the culprit. Don't know what could have caused this behavior (nipping) unless it's age. Thanks again. I wished we had space for a larger tank. Our house is the size of a shoe box!

Hi PP,

The answer is likely age which was exacerbated by the cramped quarters.

Quick Question: I just bought some Java Fern. Some leaves had some black spots. Do I cut them out and do I bury the plant.

20161030_170408.jpg
20161030_170357.jpg
Don't bury the rhizome, the black spots will probably grow new plants.

I've got one of mine on wood and the other glued to a stone, all the original leaves on it sprouted plants

I've got one of mine on wood and the other glued to a stone,
Super Glue is great for this, Over time it will break down but by then the plant should be firmly attached to the wood or stone.

Male guppies are best kept in larger numbers, and almost always in odd numbers. A single male will attack a second male in order to claim dominance and breeding privileges. Guppies are lovely fish, and generally quite mild mannered. The exception to that is having a pair of males. They will establish a pecking order and one invariably loses. Having an odd number allows them to be more distracted and spreads any aggression out amongst a wider audience. The simplest solution would be to get 3 or 5 more male guppies (assuming you have sufficient space in the tank - see below) adding the 'aggressive' one back to the tank last.

Then you should see them squaring up and flaring from time to time, but with a larger group it is very unlikely to go much beyond that.

How big is the tank? Mollies shouldn't be kept in anything smaller than 30 gallons, maybe a 20 Gallon LONG tank. If this is a 20 gallon long or a 30, you shouldn't have any problems adding the new fish, assuming that the tank has been running for a while, and that there aren't other inhabitants you failed to mention in the tank adding to the bioload.

Hi, Can I ask one more questi
View attachment 81588 View attachment 81589 Don't bury the rhizome, the black spots will probably grow new plants.

I've got one of mine on wood and the other glued to a stone, all the original leaves on it sprouted plants

Most reactions

trending

Back