Filtration/heating for small tanks/bowls

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SRC

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won'
Reaction score
I see this asked so often. What do to about filtering and/or heating a 1-3 gallon bowl/tank.

Well as I was looking (on my favorite fish shopping place none-the-less..big surprise huh :look: ) for a new filter, for a new 10 gallon I accqired recently... and I came across a filter made for a Vase (of all things) that hangs on the side like a regular filter, has adjustable water flow, and uses a filter cartridge (like a Whisper) BUT it's made for 1-3 gallon setups. Not bad for $8.

Cool huh?
p40076b.jpg

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/F2...6/Itemdy00.aspx

Then I went to the heater section and saw a heater that is only 6" long, has adjustable temperature control, it's submersible, and comes in 25w, which is made for tank up to 5 gallons.
And it's only $12.

p7320b.jpg

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/F4...0/Itemdy00.aspx
I actually have this in the 100W version in my 22 gallon betta tank, works great..no problems for the 6 months I've had it in there.

But for a $7 you can get one that is 6" long, hangs on the side of the tank, is 25w, and has adjustable temperature control.

p8790b.jpg

I have this one, in the 50W version, on my community tank at home, and I just bought another one for this new 10 gallon I just got as well. These work great, if you don't mind a hanging heater :D lol.

I wonder if that filter would be good for a bowl? I was wondering what bowls I could fit that on or would I need to get a 2.5 gallon tank? Sorry Im not helping at all.

Since that filter says in particular that it was made for a vase..I woudln't see why it wouldn't fit on a bowl as well.

No, that filter won't fit a bowl... or a vase. It's made to fit on straight sides. This is the AquaVase it says it fits. I've got two of these filters and they work great, but I was definitely robbed... I paid $14 for mine at my LFS! I'm thinking of ordering one of my 2.5 gallon minibow. :shifty:

W*M has small heaters... I think 8 watts for 2-5gallons, and they only cost $7. They aren't adjustable, but as long as you make sure its well submerged, have a thermometer, and check it often, it should be fine. I have 2 and they work really well :hey:

I see this asked so often. What do to about filtering and/or heating a 1-3 gallon bowl/tank.

Well as I was looking (on my favorite fish shopping place none-the-less..big surprise huh :look: ) for a new filter, for a new 10 gallon I accqired recently... and I came across a filter made for a Vase (of all things) that hangs on the side like a regular filter, has adjustable water flow, and uses a filter cartridge (like a Whisper) BUT it's made for 1-3 gallon setups. Not bad for $8.

Cool huh?
p40076b.jpg

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/F2...6/Itemdy00.aspx

Then I went to the heater section and saw a heater that is only 6" long, has adjustable temperature control, it's submersible, and comes in 25w, which is made for tank up to 5 gallons.
And it's only $12.

p7320b.jpg

I actually have this in the 100W version in my 22 gallon betta tank, works great..no problems for the 6 months I've had it in there.

But for a $7 you can get one that is 6" long, hangs on the side of the tank, is 25w, and has adjustable temperature control.

p8790b.jpg

I have this one, in the 50W version, on my community tank at home, and I just bought another one for this new 10 gallon I just got as well. These work great, if you don't mind a hanging heater :D lol.

Hello I'm new here. I just registered today. I'm so glad to hear that there are heaters for 1-3 gallon tanks. I've asked around and people have told me NO there aren't any. But now, I can order 1 for my betta. :D

The ones you mentioned were sold out, well, the heaters were anyway. The filter you mentioned said up to 3 gallons. I need one up to 5 gallons. The current filter I'm using, a Whisper Jr., is too strong and sucked my Betta up against the side and he couldn't free himself until I turned the filter off.

hello. Im really new here barely know hw to use the site. lol anyway i wanted to know if it's easier to breed the bettas when the temperature is warmer for them? i mean to say if its better to keep them at around an 80 f when they are to breed? :/

ill appreciate any comment!!!

thanks. :huh: :blush:

My daughter has a Betta in a 1 gallon tank due to limited space in her dorm room. Heat comes from an overhead 7 watt light bulb but must be supplemented by a nearby desk lamp during cold conditions. I have looked for a heater for tanks this small, buthe the closest thing I have found is a 7.5 watt mini submersible heater made by Hydor. It says it is made for 2 to 5 gallon tanks.

Has anyone tried this heater in a 1 gallon tank or is there something else on the market for small betta tanks?

Hi everyone,
I am new to the Betta world, and have just purchased a lovely CT Betta from my LFS. He is blue, green, red, and purple! I wanted a fish that I could keep in a small container on my desk at work, and a betta seemed like just the right fit. Right now he's in a decorative bowl, but I plan on moving him to a 1-3g tank as soon as I find the right one! Now, of course, I need to figure out what the best one is!

So I know there are tons of those little "desktop aquariums" out there, and I just checked out a few on Drs. F&S website that looked cool. The ones I found all have built in filtration systems...are these ok for the betta or will they move the water too much? Can someone recommend a good, smaller desktop aquarium that would be good for a betta? Also, a recommendation on a heater? The office stays around 70 degrees, but I heard they like it a bit warmer?

Also, would the betta prefer to live by himself, or to have another male on the other side of a divider (or, should I just have a mirror handy)? I always wondered because it seemed they work themselves up into a tizzy while watching another males...but then I read other people saying that they can get lonely?

Oh, and one more question...how high/far can a betta jump out of a bowl?

Thanks,
Mel

I found the dividers to be problematic. Mine were plastic and were algae magnets.

I got the Eclipse 3 gallon. I comes with a small filtration thats easy to maintain. Problem is its a small space and I was worried the current might be too much for them.

After about a year now Ive finally taken the filtration out and am just doing more frequent changes and I think the fish are happier wihout it.

Bettas dont seem to mind filtration in larger tanks but for smaller ones I dont think its necessary.

Hurry and get him out of that small container!! Bettas thrive in tanks.

I wouldnt put a Betta in anything under 3 and even thats a bit small. I only got it becuase it fit the small space I have left and really wanted another fish.

I wouldnt recommend a tankmate for anything under 10G. Ive always kept my Bettas with Cory catfish and they get along great(except the upside ones which seem a bit too aggresive and annoy Bettas easily)

Well if you're looking for a small practical tank, there's a 5 gal. hex setup at walmart with biowheel filtration. I've had one before, but I dropped it during a transport to storage after the fish I had in it died. I have two 2gal hex setups now, hawkeye aquariums makes them, and I have a betta in one whilst the other finishes up cycling.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back