Filtration Advice For 100 Uk Gallon Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

markandhisfish

comfortably numb
Reaction score
i run a 100 g tank with a single eheim pro2 model 2028 canister filter which whilst it keeps the amonia and nitrite etc in check ( i test regularly using liquid drop test kit) its not doing a very good job at removing the small particles of debris from the water it has poly wool in the top section which has been in for about 5 or 6 weeks and altho i have cleaned it out in a bucket of tank water it looks a bit past its best. would replacing the poly wool help or do i actually need more "mechanical" filtration due to water volume?
i should point out fish health etc is fine water is not cloudy but the debris collects at the water surface and it bugs me i want to be able to get rid and have everything looking 100% pristene.

any help greatfuly accepted as never run a large tank before so its a learning curve

I have a similar sized tank and run a ProII 2026 along with a classic 2217 , I change the pads every month or so using sheets of filter wool that I got from Ebay ( to keep costs down) and still found that I was getting floating bits. So I put a pouch of Purigen in the 2217 and my water has been much cleaner looking although im not sure the water is any better as I didnt have that much of an issue with its quality.

what is purigen? quality is ok all tests are fine and fish are happy its just for my benefit really

Stuff collecting on the surface surgests to me that you don't have enough surface agetation. Try to increase this, and it should draw that dirt back into the water column, allowing your filter to remove it. A small internal packed with floss could also help if more surface agetation does not :nod:

Floss should be replaced when it becomes clogged :good: This will be when flow from the filter drops if you are otherwise using the standord Eheim media in that filter. If with otherwise standord media you are getting clogged before the 6 month mark, and the floss isn't the caurse, you have too little filteration IMO, so in that scenario you would want to look at another Eheim 2080, or other large exturnal to run along side the current one :nod: Floss should clogg at mebe the 3 month mark if you are pushing the filter, but mine goes for 6 months like the rest of the media before it cloggs and needs replacing :good:

HTH
Rabbut

i have my spray bar just below the waterline and i run a 4 inch bubble disc there is quite a bit of movement at the waters surface altho maybe i should have a 2nd bubble disc at the other end of the tank as its the end without it where stuff collects at the surface? i do intend on adding a 2nd filter but prob wont be able to until the new year

thanks

i have my spray bar just below the waterline and i run a 4 inch bubble disc there is quite a bit of movement at the waters surface altho maybe i should have a 2nd bubble disc at the other end of the tank as its the end without it where stuff collects at the surface?

There is your problem :nod: Adding the second planned air disk should fix it as you say :nod:

All the best
Rabbut

well i have just removed the poly-wool from the top tray and i instantly have noticeably more flow . the filter i got 2nd hand and was already filled with media in all trays so not sure if it is the standard eheim or not. the bottom section has media that is like little hollow plastic tubes and the others have media that i can only describe as little brown balls of various sizes which are textured i will however get some new polywoll to go back in

also will most prob add 2nd bubble disc soon too

im wondering if this could be the reason that even tho with regular large weekly water changes my bosemanis didnt seem to be colouring up as even in the short time i have had improved flow the yello has become notably stronger in the tails . am going to do test again for ammonia and nitrites now just to double check the filter is still coping with bio-load as have not tested for a week or 2

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back