Filters With Brown Crud On It, No Fish In Tank.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

rpgmomma8404

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I noticed this before when I first set my ten gallon up but now it's on all three filter medias. What is this? I thought me and the boyfriend cleaned the sand pretty well. Could this explain why both tanks are a bit cloudy?

Don't know exactly what it is, but I know it's normal.
Just like the sludge remnants of when stuff breaks down in the tank I think. The end product of waste from everything including bacteria etc.
Obviously someone needs to come along and explain much better ;)

Yup I have this on all my existing tanks and also when cycling, its a good thing!  I've always assumed its a sign of bacteria!

Psst - I think you said a naughty word in your topic title ;)

Sophie said:
Psst - I think you said a naughty word in your topic title
wink.png
LOL, yeah I was kind of freaking out a little bit. Last time it happen it wasn't nearly this bad so I'm sitting here thinking I am doing something wrong. I'm going to do some water changes today so hopefully that helps with the cloudiness. 

Dont worry. Its just a sign your bacteria are doing well!

I'm going to do some water changes today so hopefully that helps with the cloudiness.

I would advoid water changes if possible, cloudyness is normal
yes.gif

214jay said:

I'm going to do some water changes today so hopefully that helps with the cloudiness.

I would advoid water changes if possible, cloudyness is normal
yes.gif

Oh okay. How long should I wait? 
Oh would adding water be okay? I noticed the water levels are getting low in both tanks? 

The cloudyness should clear naturally after a few days to a week.  As long as the levels are all going in line with the guidance then I would not worry.  Sometimes later in the cycle a small water change can kick start it a bit but probably not needed.  Certainly top up the water back to the correct level just make sure you treat the water with dechlorinator (that removes both chlorine and chloramine)

Most reactions

Back