Filter Venturi Saturating Water With Micro Bubbles - Harmful To Fish?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

davidjp1982

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm a bit concerned with the tiny micro bubbles that my Interpet PF-1 is throwing out. I understand the concept of aeration, maximising surface area for gas exchange etc and I know that bubbles are not necessary as such, just surface agitation. However, I recently suffered a nitrite spike due to a deceased fish sitting in the tank undiscovered and I want to boost aeration during my course of water changes. The filter I am using is an Interpet PF-1 with built in venturi. Even at the lowest setting it absoloutley saturates the tank (Interpet 48 Fish Box) with tiny micro bubbles. Are these harmful to the fish? Here is a photo so you can see exactly what I mean.  fish.jpg

The bubbles are not in any way harmful to your fish so don't worry. 

You could lower the venturi so that it is just making a gentle ripple at the waters surface, this will be more than adequate for your fishes needs. Also there is no need to boost aeration during your water changes, if you have have had a NitrIte spike do a huge water change to bring the level down, and if required do a second huge water change. 

Cheers
Dan

Thanks I have a pair of apistogramma Agassizii in the tank which I gather are sensitive to low oxygen levels. I know the sirface agitation is sufficient really but I think actually seeing the water churn somewhat more helps to convince me the little guys are getting all the oxygen they need, even though I hate the unsightliness of all the bubbles. 

Most reactions

trending

Back