Filter Suction Cups Won't Stick!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

clittermouse

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am having problems with my filter suction cups they will not stick on the glass!!! i have cleaned the cups and tried sticking them on the glass and they hold for a little while and then they just slide down the glass.
At the monent my filter is leaning slightly back and is propped up by the stones in the tank, i really need a better solution and when i was away on holiday my filter fell over and squashed one of my fish and i dont want this to happen again so does anyone have any ideas as why they are not sticking?
My glass is clean, no green algue on glass.

Is the bottom of the filter on the bottom of the tank? If its heavy/big then this might be something you need to do (possibly?). Are you sticking them to the glass under the water or at the surface? Try then on another piece of glass, then you will know if its the glass, or the cups that are the problem.

Try giving your glass a good clean just incase there is any algae on it...

i had the same problem with my fluval2 so i left it sat on the bottom and now just use a bubble curtain for airation (sp)

xXx

Hi thanks for the comments, yes it is a big filter and it does sit on the stones at the bottom of the tank, i can't stick the cups on the glass out of the water because of the design of the filter. Where the cups fit to the filter the bit above it needs to be underwater! but i will try moving it to the other side of the tank and clean the glass b4 i move and see if that helps.
the fish that got squashed died and my 18 year old was feeding them etc and he text me in a panic when the filter fell over so hopefully can get it sorted so it does not hapen again, do not want to lose any more fish or traumatise my son lol
xx

this happens with suction cups im afraid they ware out as BigC says just get some new ones there only cheap :good:

i will take the suction cups with me to the Lfs as they are just sat on the bottom off the tank!! not much use there lol, many thanks for your help
xx

You may need to order online for specific filter brand suckers. The LFS sometimes dont usually stock specific ones.

cor i thought you guys on this forum were pro fish keepers :rolleyes:

why waste your money on new suction cups

T1 top tip of the day get a mug of hot boiling water put just the rubber cups in the mug of water leave them their for 10mins hay pressto cups that stick

now dont say i dont save you money :good:

Alternatively dissect a algae magnet, silicone one piece to the filter casing and one on the outside of the aquarium..

Alternatively dissect a algae magnet, silicone one piece to the filter casing and one on the outside of the aquarium..

great idear filters have magnets inside them thats how they work buy adding another magnet you will probably kill the filter in half its life span

cor i thought you guys on this forum were pro fish keepers :rolleyes:

why waste your money on new suction cups

T1 top tip of the day get a mug of hot boiling water put just the rubber cups in the mug of water leave them their for 10mins hay pressto cups that stick

now dont say i dont save you money :good:

Exactly what I was thinking as I was reading this. I have no idea how many collective suckers I have that give out on me every week and I do exactly the same thing - boiling water - works a treat!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back