Filter recommendations?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hoopla

Reaction score
I believe it may be time for me to get a new filter.... I'm not sure how old the one I have now is since I got all the tank equipment from my grandmother. I'm also not sure the exact make... I know it is an Aquatech filter, and it hangs on the back of the tank.

Here is the problem... I have noticed theirs are little dust particles in my water. At first I thought it may be an algae bloom... but I think it might be more likely that my filter just isn't filtering the water through properly. It also recently started buzzing and trickling a lot, even when the water level is all the way to the output area. Some water is also flowing out of the section that the intake tube is held in, if that makes sense.

I really like the filters that hang on the back, but what brand wouldn't you all recommend? Should I just get another Aquatech? (Ps my tank is a 29 gallon) or maybe I don't need a new filter... if so are there any ways to handle the "dust"

I'm sure someone will ask you what type of fish you are keeping. Sponge filters are great for some fish. Power filters are great for others.

Agreed. Decide on the filter that is suited to the fish you have/intend to have in the tank. Another consideration, do you have or intend live plants?

Filters have three primary functions. Circulating water, filtering out particulate matter (= mechanical filtration), and biological filtration which will occur with any filter as well as surfaces in the tank like the substrate. Chemical filtration, which involves somehow adjusting the water chemistry with substances like carbon, can be part of the filter but not necessarily part, depending.

The water movement affects fish; there are fish that need currents, fish that need less, and fish that do not appreciate any water flow. Which is why we ask about intended fish.

Plants do natural filtration, and in a balanced tank with live plants a filter is not even necessary in principle.

I am not a fan of hang-on-back filters, having had them many years ago. On smaller tanks I find they are too strong because most smaller tanks will have more sedate fish that do not appreciate fighting currents 24/7. This can wear down fish, weakening them, if they are not suited. In my fish room I have two 29g tanks that are each filtered with a dual sponge filter; these suit the nature of the tanks, with quiet fish and plants. And sponge filters are certainly the easiest filter to maintain and clean at each water change.

Byron.

Agreed. Decide on the filter that is suited to the fish you have/intend to have in the tank. Another consideration, do you have or intend live plants?

Filters have three primary functions. Circulating water, filtering out particulate matter (= mechanical filtration), and biological filtration which will occur with any filter as well as surfaces in the tank like the substrate. Chemical filtration, which involves somehow adjusting the water chemistry with substances like carbon, can be part of the filter but not necessarily part, depending.

The water movement affects fish; there are fish that need currents, fish that need less, and fish that do not appreciate any water flow. Which is why we ask about intended fish.

Plants do natural filtration, and in a balanced tank with live plants a filter is not even necessary in principle.

I am not a fan of hang-on-back filters, having had them many years ago. On smaller tanks I find they are too strong because most smaller tanks will have more sedate fish that do not appreciate fighting currents 24/7. This can wear down fish, weakening them, if they are not suited. In my fish room I have two 29g tanks that are each filtered with a dual sponge filter; these suit the nature of the tanks, with quiet fish and plants. And sponge filters are certainly the easiest filter to maintain and clean at each water change.

Byron.

I have a betta, ghost shrimp, rumnynose tetras, Cory cats, and a pleco. I do have a variety of live plants, also. I think maybe the reason my fish have been fine with the this filter is because I don't believe it is running at it's full potential because of age. They swim right by the intake no problem (I know it's still working though because little plant bits that get uprooted by the Cories get stuck to the intake)

If I do want to switch to a sponge filter, how would I go about it since I don't want to destroy my beneficial bacteria from the old filter? Could I temporarily use both filters at the same time to allow the new one to build up its own bacteria?

Last edited:
I have a betta, ghost shrimp, rumnynose tetras, Cory cats, and a pleco. I do have a variety of live plants, also. I think maybe the reason my fish have been fine with the this filter is because I don't believe it is running at it's full potential because of age. They swim right by the intake no problem (I know it's still working though because little plant bits that get uprooted by the Cories get stuck to the intake)

With these fish, gentle/minimal filtration is best, and the plants help as well. A sponge would work well. I use a dual sponge on my 20g, 29g, and 40g tanks. Photos attached are what I am thinking of, there are several manufacturers of these dual sponge filters; I thinbk the Hagen Elite are no longer available, but the other opne I ordered through Amazon is the same type. The sponges can be replaced when they wear out (which can be years) and they are easy to rinse under the tap at each weekly water change.

Having said that...you don't mention the cory species, but most prefer minimal water movement with the exception being Corydoras panda that do appreciate some current at one end anyway.

If I do want to switch to a sponge filter, how would I go about it since I don't want to destroy my beneficial bacteria from the old filter? Could I temporarily use both filters at the same time to allow the new one to build up its own bacteria?

You could, but you are only causing extras effort for no benefit.

First, you have live plants. Aquatic plants take up ammonia/ammonium as their preferred form of nitrogen, and they can take up a lot of it, far more than the fish will produce, assuming the plants are healthy and you have some moderately fast growing species of plants; floating plants for example are ammonia sinks, whereas mosses and slow-growing ferns will use less.

Second, in an established tank (after a few months) you will have no real need for a filter as far as biological filtration is concerned. There are bacteria including nitrifying all over the place, attached to surfaces, especially the substrate. Unless the tank is seriously overstocked this is not an issue.

Attachments

• sponge filter.jpg
    sponge filter.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 63
  • elitedouble.jpg
    elitedouble.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 73
With these fish, gentle/minimal filtration is best, and the plants help as well. A sponge would work well. I use a dual sponge on my 20g, 29g, and 40g tanks. Photos attached are what I am thinking of, there are several manufacturers of these dual sponge filters; I thinbk the Hagen Elite are no longer available, but the other opne I ordered through Amazon is the same type. The sponges can be replaced when they wear out (which can be years) and they are easy to rinse under the tap at each weekly water change.

Having said that...you don't mention the cory species, but most prefer minimal water movement with the exception being Corydoras panda that do appreciate some current at one end anyway.

You could, but you are only causing extras effort for no benefit.

First, you have live plants. Aquatic plants take up ammonia/ammonium as their preferred form of nitrogen, and they can take up a lot of it, far more than the fish will produce, assuming the plants are healthy and you have some moderately fast growing species of plants; floating plants for example are ammonia sinks, whereas mosses and slow-growing ferns will use less.

Second, in an established tank (after a few months) you will have no real need for a filter as far as biological filtration is concerned. There are bacteria including nitrifying all over the place, attached to surfaces, especially the substrate. Unless the tank is seriously overstocked this is not an issue.

I just recently re-scaped the tank so I guess I will wait a few months before attempting to do a sponge filter. Thank you for the help!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back