Filter Questions For New Tank For Newbie

Atsy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all, I got a used 50 US Gal tank (48" x 12" x 20") and it came with the lights, filters, stand etc.  We accidently threw out the bio-filter for the filters when we were cleaning and setting it all up.  I tried to purchase replacement bio-filters and found it is practically impossible.  I would have to purchase a new filter set up.  So I'm not sure if I should get the same filters that were there or if I should change to something different.  The tank currently has two Aqu-tech 30-40 filters.

I'm not too keen on dumping tons of money on my first tank since I was a kid, so an elaborate filter setup isn't really that appealing to me.

Any advice?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
gufyduck said:
Maybe check ebay, craigslist, or amazon?  Have you tried looking to contact the company that makes the filter directly?  I did a quick search and couldn't find the media, but I found a new bio-wheel filter that I've used before with a lot of success for $29.  http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-Penguin-Power-Filter-70-Gallon/dp/B0009IMDQM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1361824275&sr=8-2&keywords=bio+wheel

Thanks for that.  I can get another Aqua-Tech 30-60 for about $35 so x 2 that's $70.  If I'm going to spend $70 for new filters then I don't mind spending ~$100 for a nicer filter if that's is a better option.  I looked at the Aqua-tech website and did some quick searches and I couldn't find a place to purchase a new bio-media filter, since they say you aren't supposed to replace them I'm assuming that the company doesn't produce them for purchase separately, you have to buy a whole new set-up.

So since posting I have been looking at the Eheim Classic filters, in particular the Eheim 2236 (up to 80 gal/185 ggh), Classic 2217 (up to 159 gal/1264 ggph), or the Ecco Pro 80 (up to 80 gal/198 gph).

I have no idea what I should be doing, I can shop for shoes but filters are way out of my knowledge basis!  I have sand substrate and plan on having real plants.  I think we are wanting to go with several shoals of smaller fish such as Barbs, tetras, danios, that sort of thing.  Not lots of big fish.  Any thoughts would be more than welcome!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Personally, I would do the filter I sent you a link to.  I'm seeing it listed as $30, which is an amazing deal for that filter.  And with the size I linked to (350GPH) you would only need one filter.  

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back