Filter question

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

rankine

Reaction score
Afternoon all, this weekend I have decided to get back into keeping tropical fish and have purchased a "Aqua one Eco style 81" tank.

My question is should the outlet spout from the filter be completely submerged or level with the water so creating a wave effect and giving the tank oxygen.

If I don't completely submerge it the tank is not full and tbh it's playing with my OCD.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

cheers

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Have the outlet so it creates some surface turbulence to maximise the oxygen levels in the water. Whether you have the outlet just above the water or just below the water surface it doesn't matter. As long as there is some surface movement.

Surface disturbance is the best and easiest way to ensure proper gas exchange which occurs, obviously, primarily at the surface. You do not need a raging torrent, just some disturbance. Depending upon the fish, too much current in the tank can be detrimental, so keeping the disturbance at the surface helps in that too.

What is "OCD" ?

Thanks for the replies really appreciate it, I'm going to top the water level up a little so the outlet pipe is just covered.

Byron.....OCD = obsessive compulsive disorder

Thanks for the replies really appreciate it, I'm going to top the water level up a little so the outlet pipe is just covered.

Byron.....OCD = obsessive compulsive disorder

Thank you. And raising the water level is a good idea. :drinks:

Really pleased with how the tanks looking just leaving it now for 4-5 days to bed in before testing the water, just hoping i havnt got a dodgy heater keeps going on and off.

Having had a read through a few posts the forum is a fantastic place for newbies.

I missed you are a new member, so...welcome to TFF. :hi:

Concerning the heater...if the water temperature is roughly the same as the temperature setting on the heater, then it will go on and off. Water currents around the heater will govern this, which is why it is best when possible to have the heater next or close to the filter return; it helps spread the heated water.

That makes sense mine is at the other end of the tank at the inlet, I might move it then.

I've moved the heater, I'm aiming for 25 degrees would you say this is correct for keeping platys, guppies and gouramis?

Cheers

I've moved the heater, I'm aiming for 25 degrees would you say this is correct for keeping platys, guppies and gouramis?

Cheers

Yes, in the 25-26 C range is fine for most tropicals, with exceptions of course.

I would question the gourami in with platies and guppies, as the active swimming of the latter will not go down well with sedate gourami. There is also a water parameter difference, gourami being softish water, livebearers hardish. Depends upon the gourami and the parameters of your source water, but generally soft and hard water species don't always combine well.

cheers mate I will bear that in mind before I stock.

You should be able to get the GH (general or total hardness) and pH from your municipal water authority website. While some species have some degree of adaptability, there are some general basic things to keep in mind. Livebearers (the platy and guppy) must have moderately hard or harder water or they will not last because they are unable to get the essential minerals they require to function healthy. Soft water species don't need these, and may have problems.

Most reactions

trending

Back