Filter pumping water the wrong way?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jordan_Deus

Fish Crazy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I recently bought a second hand Jebo 825 canister filter. I tested the thing out and something very odd seems to be at work here. The filter seems to suck water through the pipe inside the canister from the bottom of the filter to the tank. The water that enters the filter, enters from the top and flows through the trays to the bottom. I checked this by putting the top part of the canister into my still empty 60 gallon tank. I put my finger underneath the hole that attaches to the pipe in the canister filter and I felt suction. That's how I figured all this out. It is my understanding that the water is supposed to go down that tube into the bottom of the tank and then from there rise up through the trays before being sucked back into the tank. I need to get to the bottom of this problem because I need to know where to put my tray of of foams.

Another thing I noticed is that the canister leaks from where the top of the canister connects with the body of the canister. What can I do to stop this?

Any help will be appreciated,
Jordan

I can help you with the leak issue, I have had this a couple times with my canisters. When you replace the head after cleaning, make sure it is properly sitting by gently moving it a bit. There may be some type of rubber ring around the head, make sure that is correctly placed. And, you can "seal" this with a bit of vaseline. My Eheim canisters came with a small tube of lubricant for this purpose, but vaseline works just as well. I use a cotton swab (like a !-Tip) to apply a thin coat of vaseline along the rubber ring. I do not know your mentioned filter, but it is probably similar.

On the water flow, maybe you can find instructions online? My Eheims work as you think, water comes in and to the bottom, then rises up through the media and out to the tank. But other filters may be designed differently.

Byron.

I can help you with the leak issue, I have had this a couple times with my canisters. When you replace the head after cleaning, make sure it is properly sitting by gently moving it a bit. There may be some type of rubber ring around the head, make sure that is correctly placed. And, you can "seal" this with a bit of vaseline. My Eheim canisters came with a small tube of lubricant for this purpose, but vaseline works just as well. I use a cotton swab (like a !-Tip) to apply a thin coat of vaseline along the rubber ring. I do not know your mentioned filter, but it is probably similar.

On the water flow, maybe you can find instructions online? My Eheims work as you think, water comes in and to the bottom, then rises up through the media and out to the tank. But other filters may be designed differently.

Byron.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. As for instructions on the internet, couldn't find any...

I have found a review of the 828, not your model I know but it is worth noting some of the comments for that model.

It says the 828 has 4 baskets and all but the top one have matting in the bottom. There is a grating at the top, then the top basket has 2 sponges. The second has small ceramic media. The third has large ceramic media. The fourth has carbon.
But most importantly, the review states that water comes in at the top and travel top to bottom through the media.

If the 828 is just a bigger version of the 825, yours should also have the water flow from top to bottom.

I have found a review of the 828, not your model I know but it is worth noting some of the comments for that model.

It says the 828 has 4 baskets and all but the top one have matting in the bottom. There is a grating at the top, then the top basket has 2 sponges. The second has small ceramic media. The third has large ceramic media. The fourth has carbon.
But most importantly, the review states that water comes in at the top and travel top to bottom through the media.

If the 828 is just a bigger version of the 825, yours should also have the water flow from top to bottom.

Great! That's what I suspected as well but wanted to make sure I was correct. Thank you for the help!

Hi all, it's just a comment but I have read not to use Vaseline as it reacts with the rubber. I always use silicone grease and never had a problem.

Hi all, it's just a comment but I have read not to use Vaseline as it reacts with the rubber. I always use silicone grease and never had a problem.
Heard the same honestly. But I did use it on my Canisters Priming button and it did wonders. That isn't rubber though.

Thanks for this, I'll check around. B.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back