"filter Media"?

rikkitiger

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Um, i posted a long post about betta tanks, and my new ten gallon.

Long story short i am getting some "filter media" from my friend's dad's 200+ gallon aquarium to skip the cycle and go straight to healthy fish tank. Fine by me.

I am just wondering, what part of the tank do i get this? Do i get it from his filter or his tank? Or do i just get the bacteria he pours in every once in a while. Im so confused! And how much would i get for my ten gallon? I dont have live plants either.

Can i get some help on this? Thanks.

This confused me for a long time, too.

Filter media is the stuff in the filter.  Sponges, Active Carbon, and "BioMax rings" are examples of filter media.  I use mostly sponges, though I use some BioMax in my big canister filters.  You only need enough to fill your filter, I put four small sponges in my 10 gallon HOB filter.

So i dont need to get the bacteria he has? Just a bit of the stuff in his filter? Ok then.

I'm sorry, the bacteria grows in the filter, and in the filter media.  By taking some filter media you'll have the bacteria already in it.  Don't let it dry out before getting it into your tank though!

see if you can get any of his biomax or ceramic media thats where the bacteria will be, so will benefit you most when cycling your tank.

Ok, i dont know if he has sponges or what in his filter.

Most reactions

trending

Back