Filter Media In Tank Water

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

indir-emir

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi all,
Going to be picking up a 3foot tank for my girlfriends birthday soon and im just wondering how long i can keep it there to ensure bacteria stays alive, as the guy im buying the tank from will give me a Jewel Cichlid and a Rainbow Shark (I think he means a Red-Tail Black Shark though) so im trying to ensure her tank is cycled or close enough to ensure fish stay alive for her.

So my question is:
How long could i keep filter media in tank water to keep bacteria alive?

Thanks everyone,

Regards,
Indir

Not sure from your question whether you are thinking about hours or days?

I've had personal experience with the bacterial colonies not even giving a mini-cycle despite no fresh oxygen or ammonia for 5 hours. (ie. not in filter with water flowing through) Die-off starts off fairly slow, about 1 to 2% of the colonies per day I believe, but its not linear.

~~waterdrop~~

Oh sorry water, i ment hours. Its only about an hour or so drive to the place. Just sorta trying to keep the bacteria alive for her lol. Dont want her getting upset if the fish ended up dying cause i did something wrong lol.

I was planning to use a fish carry bag half filled wiht water and have it in there for the travel back home. Itd be like 2-3 hours by time i set it all up for her. Would i float the media or have it sumbersed completely in the water from his tank?

Regards,
Indir

Doesn't matter, its going to be fine. Not long enough to do any harm. I'd put enough water that it can completely stay wet from sloshing around (the sloshing around is good as it runs some water past the bacteria, just like a filter does.)

~~waterdrop~~

Okay thanks for that waterdrop. Its approximately 35 US Gallons, would a filter doing aroudn 175GPH be sufficient and slightly better then average?

Regards,
Indir

175GPH in a 35G would be considered "adverage" by most :good:

I agree with Waterdrop, when moving media, provided the media is just covered with water and the rest of the bag is packed with air, a few hours in transit should be fine :good: When you get to the other end, treat the media just like fish.

All the best
Rabbut

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back