Filter Cycle Issue

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kash6680

Reaction score
Hi
I'm having some minor issue with my Eheim 2026 and will appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thank you in advance.

Here is the issue

I recently (1.5 months) setup a used aquarium that i bought from someone, it's a 40G and came with Eheim 2026, I replaced all the filters and kept the media. The problem I am having is it seems like the tank is taking forever to cycle and the water is usually cloudy (not white or green) and my nitrites are always high. I did add 4 small cichlids after 2 weeks of setup btw. My question is does the bio-media need to be replaced? I've recently just purchased a Tetra whisper and installed it and after a week the water looks clear and the nitrite levels are down to .25.

Hi - first - I would not replace any of your filter media. It takes time for the media inside of your filter to cycle and grow the bacteria needed to keep the water stable for your fish. If you swap the media out then you are starting over growing new bacteria. Since you have fish in the tank you are officially doing a 'fish-in cycle'. Have you read up on that thread in the tank cycling section?

Would you be able to provide the current tank stats in addition to .25 nitrite?

pH:
temp:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:

Having that information will help us to make some recommendations for you. Thanks!

Thank you for the reply. I didn't get a chance yet but I will read the "fish in cycle". I just didn't think it can take long to cycle.

I just did the water test,

pH: 7.6
temp: 79.2
ammonia: .25
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 10ppm 

Thank you

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back