Film on the surface

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SorryEh

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I got a brand new 55 gallon tank (YAY) and have filled it up. Right after filling it up I noticed there's a clear like film on the surface. I've read that it could be from the water having lots of protein but those people said their film seems rainbow like, where mine is totally clear. The substrate is CaribSea Aragonite Aragamax Select Substrate if that is relevant.

Thanks for any help :)

did you rinse/ wash everything before you set the tank up?

The tank should be washed out with water. You can use a non perfumed soap if you like but just use a cheap non fragranced soap. Use a soap/ chemical free sponge (rinse sponge and wash well with non perfumed soap before its first use to remove any dyes) and then lather up then wash the inside and outside of the tank. Rinse off really well with fresh water.

Put about 2 inches of gravel into a clean fish only bucket and hose with tap water to stir it up. Tip the dirty water out and repeat 6-10 times to remove anything on the gravel. Do this for all the gravel going into the tank.

Wash the filter and filter materials out with fresh water. If you have carbon (black granulated stuff in a mesh bag) for the filter, wash that well before putting it in the filter.

If you don't want to wash everything down use a clean container and put the edge just under the surface of the water and let the water skim over the edge of the container to try and remove the film. It may or may not fix the problem.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back