Figure 8 Tank Mates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cdomick

Reaction score
Hey guys I am a novice hobbyist when it comes to fish and aquariums but am extremely excited for my first brackish tank. I have a 60 tank that I will be putting figure 8 puffers in. I know they do better off on their own and have thoroughly researched them. However I Wil be using a sand substrate and was wondering if a freshwater flounder would be a good tank mate. Both figure 8s and flounders have a fun biter reputation so I'm a little hesitant. Also I have started breeding snails in anticipation but obviously I won't have enough for some time for regular feedings does anyone have recommendations as far as food that will file their teeth until I have a decent supply of snails? Any advice is welcome!

Basically anything with a shell like shrimps, mussels and cockles.  Shrimps and mussels are said to contain Thiamanese (sp?) which reduces vitamin B levels so feed sparingly.

I wouldn't put a flounder in with a puffer, I had a flounder in with scats and they picked the thing to death and I reckon that the puffer would do the same.

puffers just bite no matter what I've tried a few different types with different tank mates and its just in their nature and they have a nasty bite

I've been quite lucky with my puffers, they've co-habited with bumblebee gobies, halfbeaks and waspfish without problem - apart from the halfbeak bullying them - but I wouldn't trust them with a flounder because it would be too tempting for them.

iliveinazoo said:
I've been quite lucky with my puffers, they've co-habited with bumblebee gobies, halfbeaks and waspfish without problem - apart from the halfbeak bullying them - but I wouldn't trust them with a flounder because it would be too tempting for them.
waspfish are ace not seen them for about 10 years!! Have you still got them?

I haven't seen one for years either which is a shame because They are fantastic fish!
Unfortunately he's no longer with us, to be honest I don't think we gave him a varied enough diet due to his need for active live food, he didn't eat much more than brine shrimp.

I have had a figure 8 puffer for two plus years and it is a peaceful fish. If anything it's been picked on by my new orange chromide cichlids. I had an anableps before the chromides and a wasp fish. I think my anableps scared my waspfish he committed suicide. I was pretty pissed cause they are cool fish and my local fish store may not get more in because of their stinger. He was doing well and ate shrimp and bloodworms frozen. Oh well. My orange chromides are aggressive and everywhere I read online it says they are peaceful. Also I have a sailfin Molly and they do not like eachother one bit. It has held up fairly well standing up for itself against the two cichlids. Cichlids are funny though they swim together one day the next its world war 3.

I have a knight goby, empire goby, and purple spot goby too. They get some beef from the cichlids but not too much.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 290

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back