Figure 8 Puffer Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lilacamy931

Starting again
Reaction score
So the time has come! I cant quite step to full marine so this tank should give me a taste for the salty side. It is a corner 120 litre which Im going to get to F8s for.

I plan a mix of coral and silver sand base, big tangled swamp root couple of rocks and some plants suited to the saltiness. Any tips for me? We have hard high ph 8 water and the idea of mixing the sand is what I have readily available but also to help buffer.

EDIT; Stupid work internet messing stuff up.

Was plannign on putting indian almond leaves for natural foliage though know to limit to tank but have read this can drop your PH?

Here is first attempt
4707041366_cc8208e1b1.jpg

4706403317_24b4f52d09.jpg

4706405163_84cc7e3231.jpg

Looking better now it's got water in it ;)

Oh forgot to say the wood will sink on it own in 2-3 days.
:)

I plan a mix of coral and silver sand base
Wouldn't do this. Just go with plain silver sand, perhaps with some gravel added to darken it a bit. No need for coral sand, and the lime content will just annoy your plants.

Was plannign on putting indian almond leaves for natural foliage though know to limit to tank but have read this can drop your PH?
Not a problem. The carbonate hardness in the marine salt mix will easily offset any pH changes. When creating low-end brackish conditions for things like figure-8s, you don't need particularly hard or basic water. Your tap water will already have ample carbonate hardness, and adding marine salt mix will raise that further.

Cheers, Neale

Thanks so much Neale, will work some more. Thanks especially on the explanation on water chemistry etc as do get worried from reading around x

Here are two quick dreadful pics I managed to take (usually do better..)
Here is Henry. That white patch is his skin rubbed a bit bare.
4716938580_6de6fcdf40.jpg

Here is Tara, can you see the heart shape? So cute
4716304185_82f24bdd1b.jpg

Congrats on the new tank!

Puffer looks lovely! I have a 55 gallon brack tank with two GSP!

I love puffers so much I got an amazon puffer for my south American cichlid tank.

Truley awesome fish.

Aw thanks TheHolding :) Love to see pics of your pufflets. I have tried various and the three species I have now are perfect, all with wonderful personalities.

What other species you have?

Here are my pufflets:

The not so camera shy Wilson-

2b8668b9.jpg

4ba863d2.jpg

The ultra hyper and near impossible to photograph Rose-

ad6d8833.jpg

And the newest addition my freshwater Amazon Puffer Bumbles-

84f9d24c.jpg

dc01226c.jpg

Oh they are allllll gorgeous!!! Wilson is soooo cute, all lovely puffs and great shots :good:
I have Nooki the fahaka
He has grown a fair bit since this pic
4628801148_dae1b122d1.jpg

Calcifer the Abei
4652055551_019ff770ac.jpg

And Tara and Henry the F8s which are already looking much healthier.

I have had in the past DPs, GSPS, irrubescos but not as successful as these puffs.

I love all your puffers! So cute! I need to name mine too hehe.

My puffers are all camera shy! lol

I've been trying to get pictures of them.

I have two avacado puffers and a GSP.

The GSP loves to play in the bubble wall. He'll swim down to the bottom then let the bubbles carry him to the top. He's quite a ham.

I will try to get pictures up soon!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back