Figure 8 puffer tank mates.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Antman123

Reaction score
Hey I'm not sure if this is the right spot for me to be posting this and I apologize in advance but I just purchased a figure 8 about a week ago .I forget the name I can get tomorrow when I go pick up my flowerhorn but they are bluish green tetras and they seem to be doing amazing and the Puffer either swims with them or by himself but is there any catfish that would be suitable for my brackish tank with my puffer?? I'm getting mixed answers. Thank you and sorry again if this is in wrong forum!!!!

Generally puffer fish should be kept in a single species tank because they will eat anything and regularly attack and eat the other fish in the tank. Puffer fish can also release toxic chemicals into the water when stressed and these chemicals will poison everything in the tank. If you have the fish in a single species tank and they do poison the water, you lose the puffers but nobody else dies.

If you keep puffer fish you should have Activated carbon in the filter and replace it every couple of weeks. If the fish does release poison into the water, the carbon will hopefully adsorb most of it and stop the fish dying.

If you ever see the puffer acting strangely or looking unwell, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate immediately.

-------------------------
You mention getting a flowerhorn. These are pretty big cichlids that should not be housed with puffers or tetras because they kill and eat tetras and stress the puffers, which in turn release poison and everyone dies.

If you want a flowerhorn cichlid, make sure it has a big tank with suitable tank mates.

There are a few brackish water catfish found all around the world, but most grow too big for aquariums and are not sold in pet shops.

Don't put catfish with puffers because it never ends well.

Generally puffer fish should be kept in a single species tank because they will eat anything and regularly attack and eat the other fish in the tank. Puffer fish can also release toxic chemicals into the water when stressed and these chemicals will poison everything in the tank. If you have the fish in a single species tank and they do poison the water, you lose the puffers but nobody else dies.

If you keep puffer fish you should have Activated carbon in the filter and replace it every couple of weeks. If the fish does release poison into the water, the carbon will hopefully adsorb most of it and stop the fish dying.

If you ever see the puffer acting strangely or looking unwell, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate immediately.

You mention getting a flowerhorn. These are pretty big cichlids that should not be housed with puffers or tetras because they kill and eat tetras and stress the puffers, which in turn release poison and everyone dies.

If you want a flowerhorn cichlid, make sure it has a big tank with suitable tank mates.

There are a few brackish water catfish found all around the world, but most grow too big for aquariums and are not sold in pet shops.

Don't put catfish with puffers because it never ends well.
Thank you for responding, Yes I normally do 25-50% water changes and often replace carbon. I found the name and I was off by a bit lmao they are Tuxedo- Green Platys not Tetras lol sorry but yes I knew the risk of adding them but I was keeping extremely close eye for almost a week now and I'm guessing I got lucky with my F8 because he actually likes them and vice versa, I was going with bumblee goby's but my LFS said he will order for me but might take a month or longer so he suggested giving them a try but keeping extremely close eye. I got lucky because he is actually one of the few that would tell you no and deny selling certain fish based on your tank and somewhat knows his stuff and if he doesn't he tells you. Reason why I asked for catfish is because I think they are amazing and one of my favorites and have them in almost all my Tanks but we were stuck on what would be a good fit for my F8. So I'm gonna go with what u are suggesting and leave him with his platys and continue to keep an eye on them........As for my Flowerhorn sorry I should have explain better that's in a separate 120 Gallon tank. My LFS ordered me one and he finally arrives today!!! He will be going in with a couple convicts making sure he is a little smaller or same size . Thank you again!!!

A Figure 8 is low end brackish so I don't know of any catfish that are suitable. I'm not sure of your tank size so it's difficult to recommend tank mates but Bumblebee Gobies usually work well depending on the temperament of your puffer. My puffers were really placid and prone to being bullied themselves rather than the other way around.

Regarding a Figure 8 puffer poisoning tank water - I've never heard of it personally although it's said that there are certain loosely related species - like marine cowfish - that are capable of that. Figure 8 puffers toxicity is released when eaten.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back