Fiddler Crabs And Mystery Snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rossclan151

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
We rescued 2 fiddler crabs from Wal-mart and it has changed our fish keeping lives.  My kids are doing research and learning all they can.  We upgraded and expanded our tank and now have a second tank.  We have had successful moltings and seemingly happy crabs.  We now rescued a female fiddler and witnessed strange behavior.  Once she was introduced to the tank, one of the males ran for her, flipped her upside down and carried her around for a little bit.  Not sure what that was about (friends swear he raped her)....  She has since molted and to date that makes 5 molting's between the 3 of them.  We have had them for over 4 months and feel lucky since they are in fresh water.  They have lots of access to fresh air via plants that stretch past the water line and an underwater biosphere.  Recently, we have added 2 mystery snails and learned that they can float about the tank for a bit and are not dead (who knew they could do the backstroke)!!  Just wanted to share the recent fun happenings in our freshwater tanks. 

We have held off naming the fiddlers, however, one of the males earned his name last night.  He is officially Harry as in Houdini.  He managed to squeeze out of the tank the power cord come out of the top and went for a walk about.  Thankfully the cat didn't find him and for the life of me, I can't figure out how he got to the floor.  We found him in the next room which is the laundry room.  Maybe smelling water or looking for the cat food. Anyway, back into the tank he want.  Seems to be doing well.  Managed to seal up the small crack so we don't have a repeat performance. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back