Female Platy Chasing Betta?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

LucyB

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So for about a month ago, I got 2 new platies (both pregnant females) and they have given birth, and everything has been fine in the tank until a few days ago... I noticed a chunk out of my male betta's tail (Oscar is his name) It has healed surprisingly quickly actually but there is still a bit of his tail missing. I have been watching the tank carefully, and have managed to figure out who the culprit is. One of my female platies (That I got a month ago) She is constantly chasing him with her mouth opening and closing, almost like "That tail looks YUMMY! GIMME GIMME!) I did add a couple of new red platies the day before the chasing started, and they have been fine. Do you think this is just a phase, and the new red platies have just unsettled the tank a bit? Oscar is constantly hiding now (except at food time :p ) and I am no way getting rid of Oscar, I love him :wub: If anyone goes, it will be this platy. So what do you think? Just a phase? or do I need to get rid of this platy? Anyone had any similar experiences? share please!

Hi useless information for you really but i had the opposite happen i got a purple betta and 2 red plattys they were fine for a day or two , then my betta started chasing one of my red platys so i took him back :( and the guy at lfs told me that the betta was being aggresive because of the colour of the platy and he thought it was one of hos own kind so was getting terraririal :S . Could be platy thinking the same but i highly doubt it lol !

P.s sorry for the terrible spelling im on my phone :)

bless. may be the female wanted attention lol. i havent known platies to be nippy and aggressive. betta's on the other hand don't like anything that outshines there beauty so it could be why they fight. but if the platies now got new mates it make be a one off. betta's are beautiful fish ,its just a shame one can not have more then 1 male per tank.:no:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back