Female Mollies Fighting Like Cichlids

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FWFishLover

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi TFF,
Today I Was In My Room just yoyo-ing and i looked at my fish tank to see my two female mollies beating the life out of each other
when it comes to mollies i have:
2 Female Dalmatians
1 Male Black Molly
So i then hit the glass and they stop only to start again 20 secs later and i hit the glass again (softly every time not hard) and they would stop
this happened one more time, until they stopped for minutes which i then decided it was safe to leave to the forum.
they would do mouth to mouth fighting just like cichlids and then like rip at each other til i'd stop them.
i noticed that this would happen whenever they would get too close to each other. though after fighting they would "hang out" like normal and not attack or anything
i think they MIGHT be fighting to mate because i noticed that the male would go up to my white dalmatian and try hit her with his gonopodium or something.
whats going on and how should i stop them from fighting?

Hi TFF,
Today I Was In My Room just yoyo-ing and i looked at my fish tank to see my two female mollies beating the life out of each other
2 Female Dalmatians
1 Male Black Molly
So i then hit the glass and they stop only to start again 20 secs later and i hit the glass again (softly every time not hard) and they would stop
this happened one more time, until they stopped for minutes which i then decided it was safe to leave to the forum.
they would do mouth to mouth fighting just like cichlids and then like rip at each other til i'd stop them.
i noticed that this would happen whenever they would get too close to each other. though after fighting they would "hang out" like normal and not attack or anything
i think they MIGHT be fighting to mate because i noticed that the male would go up to my white dalmatian and try hit her with his gonopodium or something.

If it continues i would just part them.

Hi TFF,
2 Female Dalmatians
1 Male Black Molly

i would do that but i have no tank divider or other tank.
its my only tank

Hi TFF,
2 Female Dalmatians
1 Male Black Molly

i would do that but i have no tank divider or other tank.
its my only tank

See how they get on for a day or two and see if the problems goes away, if not you may have to think about returning it to the lfs... just keep a close eye on them.

It probally isn't right, but maybe the are fighting over the male? I highly doubt this, though.

I have sometimes seen mollies trying to show that they are the dominant fish in a tank, but I don't think I have seen them fight over a male. As LM said, if they don't settle things you may need to remove one.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back