What's new

Female Honey Gourami And A Male Dwarf Gourami In Community Tank?

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

214jay

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello.

I have a male Dwarf Gourami and recently purchased a Honey Gourami which I suspect is a female (based on the shape of the dorsal fin.)

I bought the Honey to go into a different tank but during the acclimatisation process and setting up the quarantine tank I put her bag in the tank with the Dwarf.  He seemed very excited to see her and did not look aggressive in any way.  I am not wondering whether they would get on okay if they were in the same tank, they both seem to have quite relaxed personalities.  Is this a bad idea?

Most anabantids are fairly unpredictable in terms of compatibility. As said, it is generally recommended to keep gourami in a 1:2 M:F ratio but this is not always the case. Many (myself included) have had success with keeping gouramis in pairs so there are always exceptions to the rules. Seen as you have 2 different species, the male : female ratio rule may not matter as much. How big is your tank? that will certainly play a role in whether or not they get along... 

Its a 125 litre so not all that spacious though upgrading to a 460 litre in a few months (hopefully)

I'd say 125 would be big enough for the two to establish separate territories. Just be sure to provide plenty of hiding spots in case there are aggression problems

There are plenty of hiding spaces in the 125. Although the dwarf tends to roam all of the open water, top, middle and bottom so not sure if the honey would be able to find her own spot

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back