female guppy gravid spot

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

tank212

Fish Addict
Reaction score
ok i notice that on 2 of my females they have a black gravid spot easily visible but i have one female with just a little red no black so im geussing shes not pregnant but i have a big guppy female thats fat and bigger than the rest that has a big red gravid spot and shes been with a male in there for atleast 2 months any help would be appreciated

Blonde or yellow guppies generally don't have much of a gravid spot maybe just a little pink colour as you mentioned. From the age of 2 weeks my female guppy fry show a gravid spot but are obviously not pregnant at that age so the gravid spot is not an indictation that they are actually pregnant. When the female looks like she's fit to burst then you can safely say she is pregnant :D

It took me a few broods with each female to work out when they would have their babies. I just put my peachy girl in a 5 gallon tank 2 days ago when I thought she was due (she dosen't have a dark gravid spot) and she gave birth a day later to around 60 babies! so I reckon I must be getting good at telling the signs.

Just watch them carefully and you'll soon be able to tell when they are about to drop. Good luck

congrats on the babies! my yellow female is big maybe shes about to unleash a whole bunch of babies shes really really pink where her gravid spot is so maybe she will have some

My eldest is a blonde colour also (very little colour if any!) and I can't see a gravid spot at all. I've been looking all day! It's been making me go a little bit :S

*keeps looking* :X

In some fish, you can't see it. Are you talking Guppies here, still?

Is it's possible she's not pregnant, so therefore the gravid spot is very light and hard to see? :)

Given that the gravid spot is supposed to be the darkness of all the fry eyes and that my very pale female always births very pale babies, I'd say yeah everyone is right on the money and that very pale/albino almost females have pale gravids. That's my educated guess! :nod: I've never seen dark gravid spots on my largest oldest female, Peachy, or her daughters either. But boy can she produce fry! These little white zippers all over the tank. :wub:

SnowyzMom said:
Given that the gravid spot is supposed to be the darkness of all the fry
[snapback]913591[/snapback]​

It's not actually, though. The gravid spot is always there on the female, even when she's not pregnant (If that's possible :p ). It's where she keeps her eggs, and such. Though the frys' eyes DO make it darker, as do their bodies. But the gravid spot isn't actually just that. :)

Yes, I know, off topic...but I had to say it. :X

It's not actually, though. The gravid spot is always there on the female, even when she's not pregnant (If that's possible :p ).

:rofl: :rofl:

so verrry verrry true. :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back