Female guppies dying for some reason...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jimbo_natale4

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have a 40gallon tank with about 3 dozen females of varying age mostly above 6 months though. Lately I've lost some of my best girls for some reason...especially when they get close to birthing time. This started 4 weeks ago and I've lost at least 14 fish. How they look when they die is mouth open and fins and body erect and not floppy. Other than that there is no signs of dropsy, ick, fin rot or any other things I have had before in my tanks. I'm starting to get worried.... I also do weekly water changes (with the tap because I am on a budget) any suggestions? I've been adding salt to see if that'll do anything... thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh its sad to hear that, have you been checking the ammonia levels? also, do you remove them soon after their deaths?

It may be a lack of oxygen, the way the fish are dying suggests they are suffocating, how warm is the water? and do you have the filter rippling the surface and added aeration such as an air stone in the tank which may help.

It may be a lack of oxygen, the way the fish are dying suggests they are suffocating, how warm is the water? and do you have the filter rippling the surface and added aeration such as an air stone in the tank which may help.

The water is warm but I have an aeration filter and a aerator/bubbler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back