Female Green Lantern Platy Pregnant

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PearBear

Reaction score
If anyone could help me in the process of figuring out if my Female Green Lantern platy is due it would mean a great lot to me!

Last edited:
You can assume that all female livebearers are pregnant, all the time. Just watch for her getting fatter. When she's within a day or so of giving birth, she'll 'square off'; that means her belly will develop a boxy shape.

You don't need to do anything special; make sure the fish is well, but not over, fed and that the tank has good, clean water. Make sure there are plenty of hiding places in the tank, especially near the surface, if you want some fry to survive. Fine leaved, live plants are best.

We do not recommend the use of breeding boxes; they're too small for the mother fish to feel comfortable, and too small for the fry to grow properly.

Thank you for the reply Fluttermoth. I wanted to know when she is due though any help would be appreciated

You need to watch for her squaring off; that's the only thing that indicates when the fish is near to giving birth, but younger females might not show such a distinct 'boxy' shape as a more mature female, because they tend to have smaller litters.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back