Female Dwarf Gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

paudie22

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hi im based on east coast of ireland and every lfs iv been to wont sell female gouramis as there not couloured enough. i think this is awful so im trying to source some of them in ireland as i dont fancy getting them posted. im looking for them as iv recently got myself 2 beautiful neon blue male dwarf gouramis and i would like to pair them off

hi im based on east coast of ireland and every lfs iv been to wont sell female gouramis as there not couloured enough. i think this is awful so im trying to source some of them in ireland as i dont fancy getting them posted. im looking for them as iv recently got myself 2 beautiful neon blue male dwarf gouramis and i would like to pair them off

Good luck with your search. If you do source some be advised that the correct ratio is 2 female (min) to 1 male. This is because the male will try to mate with the female, if she rebuffs him then he'll turn his attention to the other female. So, if you only have one female then he will harass her to the point of death.

Also, 2 male DG when mature will fight, they also like well planted and well matured tanks (not just cycled) Water is especially important to keep spot on. They are extremely prone to bacterial infections, most common being a 'sore' between the mouth and gill cover. If present, death usually follows IME.

Shame 'coz they really are great looking fish

Good luck with your search. If you do source some be advised that the correct ratio is 2 female (min) to 1 male. This is because the male will try to mate with the female, if she rebuffs him then he'll turn his attention to the other female. So, if you only have one female then he will harass her to the point of death.

Also, 2 male DG when mature will fight, they also like well planted and well matured tanks (not just cycled) Water is especially important to keep spot on. They are extremely prone to bacterial infections, most common being a 'sore' between the mouth and gill cover. If present, death usually follows IME.

Shame 'coz they really are great looking fish

i have heard of them fighting so iv been planting my tank which my pleco keeps destroying so hes costing me a fourtune in plants. iv had my tank running for a year and a half and i also change my water regularly. il have to rearrange my stocking if i need 4 females as im currently near maximum

Hi Paudie,

It's the same here in Scotland, you just can't find them. I think its the same everywhere. The LFSs don't stock them because they're so drab compared to the males, they just don't sell very well.

Shame but true.

BTT

Hi Paudie,

It's the same here in Scotland, you just can't find them. I think its the same everywhere. The LFSs don't stock them because they're so drab compared to the males, they just don't sell very well.

Shame but true.

BTT

yea im probably going to have to order them in so thats going to be extra expense, they also tried pawn me off with that they dont breed in the aquarium but iv read reports of them doing it so i want to try breed them

I've only seen them once or twice here in New York. My good lfs told me he just can't get them from the distributer and when he can get them he does. IMHO, I don't know why they say females won't sell because they aren't colorful. Nothing is more homely than a female guppy and they sell plenty of them.

Natural colored dwarf gouramis are lovely little fish and, if you can find them at all any more, will usually be sold in pairs. If you want to breed them, I suggest you try to find some of them.

hi guys was in 5 lfs in past week and only one of them have ever had them in and dont know when they might get them again.... anyone in any part of ireland or know anyone in ireland with some females as i really want them

Don't take it for granted they don't have females, ok mine are dwarfs but now I know how to sex them I can pick out dozens of females in petstores who claim they dont have females lol and I am in Scotland. Some will say females are plain compared to males but heres a picture of my blue male and female dwarfs, and my silvery females.

Male
23rddecember2008095.jpg

Females

23rddecember2008040.jpg

23rddecember2008096.jpg

Learn how to sex them and it makes it a lot easier, I now have 3 females and one male. They are definate females 3 females have spawned, I have another 2 but they are just too young just now. I have gourami fry in another tank from my females.

Don't take it for granted they don't have females, ok mine are dwarfs but now I know how to sex them I can pick out dozens of females in petstores who claim they dont have females lol and I am in Scotland. Some will say females are plain compared to males but heres a picture of my blue male and female dwarfs, and my silvery females.

Male
23rddecember2008095.jpg

Females

23rddecember2008040.jpg

23rddecember2008096.jpg

Learn how to sex them and it makes it a lot easier, I now have 5 females and one male. They are definate females 3 females have spawned and the other 2 are just too young just now.

i was in each lfs for ages looking at them but could i figure out the differnce between them hoping id see some females... think they thought i was going to rob them or something lol i really cant figure out the difference and iv read up on it but never saw a pic of a male and female together so i can actually see the difference..... fancy coming over here for a day sort me out with a few females lol

I would love too lol.

If you look at the fins you will see the difference between the males and females, several people said you can't get coloured females but you can. On bigger gourami such as pearl's the colours are identical but the fin shape is the same as the dwarves if you look carefully you can spot the difference between both.

The males fin goes into a point if you look at it, the females are smaller and rounded, its easy once you see pictures and can see what your looking for.

I would love too lol.

If you look at the fins you will see the difference between the males and females, several people said you can't get coloured females but you can. On bigger gourami such as pearl's the colours are identical but the fin shape is the same as the dwarves if you look carefully you can spot the difference between both.

The males fin goes into a point if you look at it, the females are smaller and rounded, its easy once you see pictures and can see what your looking for.
[/quote

heres to another trip to lfs at weekend lol il be taking a magnifying glass with me haha

copy my pictures and print them off take them with you for reference if you like lol.

Send me a message and let me know how you get on.

nice one found a place that will order females in for me there kind of expensive but worth it.... heres to sorting a new tank for my livebearers

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back