Female Convict Attacking Male Convict.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Koustoubi1993

Reaction score
Around 6 months ago my female convict had babies with my big male. After about 2 weeks the male convict ate all the fry and started attacking the mother. I removed him from the tank and gave him to one of my friends to look after. Since then the male has died. Yesterday i went and bought another male so i can try breed them again. When i first put him in the tank the 2 were getting along fine but now the female is biting and ripping the males tale off. What can i do to stop this and why is the female attacking???
Thanks

The female is the dominant one in the tank.

How big is the tank, and do you have a lot of hiding spots?

-FHM

You need a bigger tank for them. If you can't do that, then add a lot of hiding places. The male usually will beat the crap out of the female, sometimes killing her. mainly only when they spawn, the male (or female) will calm down. Other than that, you need to get a bigger tank or add a lot of cover.

-FHM

Yeah a 52 liter tank is too small for cons, they can be set up in small breeding tanks like a 20 gallon or 90 liter but 52 is just too small. I dont think even a switch around would do any good because there wouldnt be enough territory for each until they pair.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back