Female Bettas In My Community Tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Zoepop

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi,

would a group of female bettas fit in with my community tank? i'm after something for the top of the tank...really bottom heavy at the moment! if a group would work how many would you recommend?

I currently have....

congo tetra
prestilla tetra
mix of different corys
bristlenose
german blue rams
a talking catfish 9although i haven't even seen him once sinse i put him in!!)
a sae
a couple of apple snails and some algae eating shrimps

my tank is 240l, fully planted with floating plants too and has a sand substrate...

not sure what else you'd need to know to answer my question but sure you'll tell me!

:)

Thanks in advance
x

Hmmmm, it's hard to say cus the SAE can be pretty aggressive. A tank that big, I would say a min of 6, max of 10, look for the not-so-aggressive females,when scouting for bettas

I've had my sae for a while and he's quite chilled out, just spends all of his time sitting round in the plants doesn't like to do much algae eating! :) So can't see him being a problem, would the bettas eat my shrimp?

Instead of getting a group of girls would one male be ok in the tank do you think or should they really be kept alone? wouldn't want to get one if it wouldn't be right for him.

SAEs get aggressive when fully grown (apparently).

With a community like that, you maybe better off/safer with 1 male

So one male should be fine in a community tank think I'll keep an eye out for one then :) My little boy has seen some beautiful blue ones that he really liked but didn't know they could go in a community.

I've got a 20l tank waiting in the wings just incase he doesn't get on well with everyone in there so i can whip him out if i need to....once i find a suitable one obviously!

Thanks for the help BethK

Make sure none of them are fin nipping him too.

I'll keep an eye, don't think i've got any fin nippers in there been careful what I've popped in as my rams are long finned and my congos have really lovely fins on them too always worth watching though I know!

Thanks

SAEs get aggressive when fully grown (apparently).

Indeed they do; I had 2 but I got rid of them before they caused too much damage (the man in the shop said when they get to about 3" thats when they start causing trouble; it's a real shame because one had a 'personality' but that was the one that was attacking my other fish when they swam to close :(.

You could always just get the one female betta if you liked them more?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back