Female betta?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SarahH3

Reaction score
I got a female betta from a pet store recently and she has very quickly developed some incredibly long fins compareD to the females I've had in the past. I'm wondering if she could be a male that was misgendered in the shop.
Bottom 2 pics are from when I got her, top pic 2 months later and there's a little more find growth now
20180627_223758.jpg
20180428_211533.jpg
20180428_211529.jpg

The fins would suggest it is a male. If you can check its ovipositor (egg laying tube) where they poop from, and see what colour it is. Females have a white ovipositor, males are dark.

I think it a male as well. Hold a mirror up so the fish can see its refection. Females often flare as well as males. If it does flare, look at the gills. If they go all the way under the head like a beard, it's a male; if the gills are only at the side of the head, it's a female.

I don't really know what I'm looking for but I can't see a white spot - I think it would be fairly obvious on a black and red fish. Can't raise a flare. My tank has a mirror back anyway so she/he's used to a reflection. If this is a male will this stress him out too much?

100% male. Look at the pelvic fins, see how they are full, long and have white tips? I've yet to see a female with such full and white tipped pelvic fins. It is not uncommon to get the wrong gender than what you'd expect. I had it happen twice with "baby bettas" at Petco, which was completely fine with me.

If you can't see a white spot near its butt them its a male.

It's preferable not to leave a mirror on their tank all the time. You can put it there for 10-15 minutes a couple of times a week but remove it afterwards. That will let the male think it has driven off a rival and he will feel good about doing it.

Its a male.

Well I guess he needs a new name. I can't take the mirror off this tank - it's built in to the whole back panel so I guess I need to do some shifting around with the tanks!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back