Feeding my baby Mbuna

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Metermaid

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have bought Hikari cichlid pellets, spirulina and wheatgerm (medium) and some Nutrafin spirulina - smaller sticks. Also frozen Cichlid Diet (Dutch company). Not having had Cichlids before - am I on the right track for their diet - would the Tetra Delica with brine shrimp be a good treat? Are the Hikari the best staple ?

Any advice welcome - as usual :blink:

I use Hikari Pellets aswell and give frozen Vegetable cubes to my mbuna too.

Brine shrimp would not be a good Idea, some of your fish will probably be vegetarian and if they eat meat, they could get Malawi Bloat.

sorry to hijack Rita :*) .....

....loafy...just noticed you are in Connahs Quay!!! (am in Chester)

can't believe how many "locals" i have noticed in the "Mbuna gang" lately...yourself, metermaid, ferris, gixer and myself.

ferris kindly gave me the names of a couple of LFS's Manchester way but where do you go to get your fish? Anywhere nearby?

thanks in advance :thumbs:

steve 8)

There's someone in Shotton too, just a few miles away from me.

I got most of my fish from Waterways nr. Wrexham.

I got some from JP Aquatics (I think that's what it's called) in the Spectrum Garden centre just outside Wrexham, they have some nice ones but none of the staff seemed to know what any of them were, they just sell them as 'Malawis'

Limestar in Tarvin is good too.

I've got a little tank in my son's room too (fish in my sig) and I got most of the fish in there from The Fish People in the Grosvenor Garden Centre, that's a brilliant little shop but they don't stock Malawis, I wish they did, but I still get some good advice on the Malawis from there the woman there is fantastic!

I've got a little tank in my son's room too (fish in my sig) and I got most of the fish in there from The Fish People in the Grosvenor Garden Centre, that's a brilliant little shop but they don't stock Malawis, I wish they did, but I still get some good advice on the Malawis from there the woman there is fantastic!

Yeah, i have spoken to her and she is well clued up. Got some of my community tank fish from her.

shame about the lack of malawis though, 'cos all of their tanks look pristine, which in turn instills confidence in the health of the fish they sell.

steve 8)

I forgot to mention, if you are setting up a new tank (You are aren't you?) and you haven't got your rocks yet, The Fish People have Tufa and Lava quite cheap. I got all my rock from there, the bloke in Watreways is well expensive for rocks and that was the only other place that had any.

Yeah, am still setting my tank up but not going for anything like the tufa. Amgonna use marine sand to buffer my pH instead.

have decided on rainbow rock for scaping (and maybe a little plum slate).

Looked on the b&q website and they have loads. they have all the "odd" shaped rainbow rock and also the rounded boulders. Think the variance in shape will look great (hopefully!!)

also quite a lot cheaper...£9.98 for a 17.5kg bag!! :thumbs:

you can do it when you B&Q it!!! :D

steve 8)

There are only a couple of types of truly herbivorous mbuna. Most are omnivorous to one degree or another. Mbuna graze algae, but will happily consume the many small lifeforms found within it - occasional brine shimp are generally ok.

The staple for mbuna, excluding Labidochromis varieties, should be a spirulina food - flakes usually, pellets work too.

Lab caeruleus can be fed similar foods as smaller haps and aulonocara. Standard cichlid pellets and flakes, supplements like brine shrimp or insect larvae. Spirulina flakes should still be used as a supplement as well.

If you have a tank full of other mbuna it's best to cator to them, the labs can use the meatier diet, but will survive off the spirulina.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back