Feeding Lettuce

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fatbobsufc

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
In a bid to vary the diet of my fish I have begun feeding different foods in addition to the flake foods (eg. bloodworm). The type of fish in my tank can be seen in the list below.

One of the foods I have been trying is lettuce, which I boil for a couple of minutes, allow to cool and add to the tank with a plant weight to hold it in place. All of the fish seem to relish this as a midday snack, even the tetras (but especially the platies). I thought this might prevent them from eating my plants too! Is it ok to feed these fish lettuce? I amstill feeding flake foods. I would welcome your advice. :D

The lettuce should do them no harm at all, boiling it is a great idea, to soften it up and remove all parasites that could be attached to it.

hi
lettuce is good. best is romaine type, iceberg lettuce has too much cellulose or something in it that they find hard to digest (apparently- i read in a fish mag). a lot of fish also love zucchini(courgette)- slice a bit peel the hard skin off & blanche, & peas. i use frozen garden peas - take a few out defrost, blanche again & mush them up, chuck em in. tiger barbs & our tetras go mad for them. although it took a couple of attempts with the zucchini before they discovered they could eat it & they liked it :D

Lettuce is alright, but nutritionally it is about 97% water! The courgette suggestion in the last post is a good one, all my fish love it! Just don't give them too much or the tank water could go cloudy!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back