Feeding dog and cat food to fish..

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mikerush76 said:
wow the more i read here the more i realise that most of you are simple sheep.. not trying to be rude but the mear mention of an alternative food source and you get all crazy..
Oh sure...you ask for opinions and then insult half the people who take the time to reply, just because they don't happen to agree with you.Not trying to be rude?For someone who isn't trying you sure are off to a good start :lol: :lol: :lol:

Koda

mikerush76 said:
wow the more i read here the more i realise that most of you are simple sheep.. not trying to be rude but the mear mention of an alternative food source and you get all crazy.. its quite simple dog and cat food costs alot less and has good stuff in it. fish food is expensive when feeding on a large scale and there animals.. dont be simply lead by the fact that the box says dog cat or fish... hell just think of all the things we eat that at one time were thought not edible and good for us..
:grr: Simple sheep :huh: , you can buy fish food in bulk as well , it is less expensive . Aside from man made fish food I feed all kinds of insects , worms , vegitables and just about any thing [ well maybe not ] but dog or cat food .

:sly: SIMPLE SHEEP not me, non of us .

Hey if you want to be" simply cheap" :p , feed your fish what ever you want .

Sorry I just don't agree with it .

Now get in line with the rest of the sheep :rofl:

I actually was considering dry cat and dog food many years ago , but read somewhere some ingredients could not be properly digested by [ most] fish .

It would also fowl the water .

:huh: I guess if I were lacking funds [ piss poor broke ] I may buy dog or cat food to.............say ......................... :hyper: feed myself :sick: , then again I wouldn't have money for fish either .

FrankSlapperinni said:
mikerush76 said:
wow the more i read here the more i realise that most of you are simple sheep.. not trying to be rude but the mear mention of an alternative food source and you get all crazy.. its quite simple dog and cat food costs alot less and has good stuff in it. fish food is expensive when feeding on a large scale and there animals.. dont be simply lead by the fact that the box says dog cat or fish... hell just think of all the things we eat that at one time were thought not edible and good for us..
Just because it is a new Idea does not make it a good one, because most of the time someone else smarter than you has already thought of it and discovered it's a bad idea after all.
If you have ever held cat and dog food you can feel that it is very oily, in which case it can be assumed that this oil is not good for fish. Fish food is not that expensive, I'm still using a large can of shrimp pellets that I bought a year ago for $15, and a very large can of flake that I bought several months ago for $10. Plus fish food is formulated for fish, so it is usually low in fat and high in protein, where as dog food usually has a lot of fat to keep their weight up and is not good for fish.
:thumbs: :cool:

I actually tried this about 25 years ago. Frank is right, the problem you will get will be from your water conditions. I didn't have a problem with the fish eating the food, but residues and oils made the water very cloudy and poor water conditions always leads to sick fish.

I am a firm believer in varying what I feed my fish from one meal to the next. There are many different flakes, pellet, freeze dried, and frozen foods available at your LFS. Also check out your local grocery, lots of things in the seafood dept. Frozen salad shrimp are cheap, squid, mussels, non-oily fish are also good options. Just make sure you don't get anything marinated or with flavorings, keep it natural. Lots of good things in the produce dept. too. Cucumbers, greens, zucchini, leaf lettuces, etc.

MrJolly said:
I'm sure that if this was harmful in any way to the fish it would be banned.
I'm sorry but this statement just really doesn't make any sense to me, I'm no way trying to get under your skin or be insulting but if it was meant for fish then it would clearly label on the bag fish/dog food or fish/cat food. If you ever watch television dog and cat food producers would love to market the product toward fish if it were possibly they love to capture a larger audience. Perhaps certain types of fish such as Oscar can handle this type of food well and I'm not rejecting that point but I'm willing to state my reputation that dog and cat food should not be used as a primary source of food intake for the majority of tropical aquarium fish or even as a secondary source for that matter. For the same reason dog food can not be served to cats or they will throw it up (it contains to much fat) and cat food can not be served to dogs (it contains a high ash content).

I dont know, I've never tried feeding my fish cat or dog food, and dont think I'll ever try either, however I dont see why you couldnt give it a try. So far there've been more people saying their fish havent died of it than there were saying that their fish didnt survive the food change.

If you're willing to take the risk, I say its totally up to you =) I mean, there must have been a first person trying out cucumber, bananas, peas etc as well, right? They didnt know if it would harm the fish or not.

Btw, dog food is just for dogs, catfood just for cats, fishfood just for fish? ... My cats always steal the dog his food, our dog the cats food when he gets a chance, and if you leave the fishfood on the table he Will steal this as well. They've been doing this for nearly 10 years now, and they're all still alive and healty

I know someone who did it to there Barred Midas Cichlid and it grew pretty big but with an Oscar i wouldnt dare do it they get to sick to easy. Just keep to fish dude dont risk it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back