Feeding Ants To Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Squidward

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi All

This afternoon my Mrs calls me to deal with a problem. There is an ants nest near the back door and there is a steady stream of them coming into the house. These are the small black ones.

I was about to reach for the chemicals when I had an idea.......is it safe to feed ants to fish (Angels, Gouramis etc)?

Has anyone tried it?

If it's ok, seems to be a convenient source of live food.

Thanks
Squidward

Hi All

This afternoon my Mrs calls me to deal with a problem. There is an ants nest near the back door and there is a steady stream of them coming into the house. These are the small black ones.

I was about to reach for the chemicals when I had an idea.......is it safe to feed ants to fish (Angels, Gouramis etc)?

Has anyone tried it?

Thanks
Squidward
i have never tried that, but i personally wouldnt try it, some ants have sharp little pinsors tht could harm the fish :good:

I used to feed my fish ant eggs/ pupae that I would find when mucking around in the garden (usually moving bricks and rocks around) and I used to collect up as many eggs as possble in a shifter and sift off as much dirt as possible and put the eggs and pupae in the tank. My fish all went nuts for them, I think they also got the odd adult ant as well, but mostly it was just the eggs. The ant eggs I used to get where just the little black sugar ants. I have seen docco's on the Amazon where the ants make living rafts to try and survive the floods ( I think they were fire ants or some such equally nasty biting ant) and the fish come up and eat away at the edge of the ant raft. So all in all I think fish see anything that ends up in their water as fair game in the food department. I would just be weary of large ants with small fish mouths. If you really want to try feeding the adult ants to your fish, you could try drowning the ants first (not easy they tend to float) that should remove the risk of any nips to the fishes lips/ mouths.

I tried feeding a spider to my fishes once. It was about 3cm in diameter including legs. When I fed it the spider was already dead. One of my 3" boesemani took it, but could not swallow it whole. It ended up half hanging out of its mouth for more than 1/2 hour. He's still doing fine.

Adrian

I had a garden pond with goldfish, a couple of tench, and Rudd. I had s problem with ants in the greenhouse and I collected hand fulls of ants eggs and ants and I just threw them in the pond and the fish went crazy for them, they cleared the lot in seconds.

Hi All

Has anyone tried it?

Thanks
Squidward

lol, i've got ant problem too mate... my problems near the tank itself though, i've seen ants all over the lid once or twice too!
I've never fed them to the fish but i can imagin the odd ones getting into the water and becoming lunch!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back