good.gif

Feb2015PoTM.jpg

Kinda makes me want to have ferrets again
smile.png

*looks at scars on fingers*

Then again, maybe not
laugh.png

Massive congrats though :nod:

Thank you all. I'm actually surprised she won. It was a spur of the moment drunken post to full up the field so there would be a vote. I put no thought into the shot. Just shot here where I found her.

Ch4rlie, I've heard of ferrets being biters but have never come across one. The two that I have hardly ever even put their teeth on me, even when playing. Tapal, the one in the picture is very hyper and nipped a bit at first but a little proper training let her know when she was doing it too hard. And, no, "proper" training does not include punishment. What I've found helpful is not to pull away when they latch on and, in fact, push towards them instead. It's hard to break that instinct to pull away but I've found this method effective with other kinds of animals, also.

RobRocksFishTank said:
Ch4rlie, I've heard of ferrets being biters but have never come across one. The two that I have hardly ever even put their teeth on me, even when playing. Tapal, the one in the picture is very hyper and nipped a bit at first but a little proper training let her know when she was doing it too hard. And, no, "proper" training does not include punishment. What I've found helpful is not to pull away when they latch on and, in fact, push towards them instead. It's hard to break that instinct to pull away but I've found this method effective with other kinds of animals, also.

I've had 4 different ferrets in the past, it was one particular white ferret that was a biter and a pain to deal with, the other 3 were perfectly normal and trained well, just that one ......
evilmad.gif
...but never had the heart to sell or give her away at the time. Having said that, in the end had to give her to a good gamekeeper friend of my dad's as we were moving away from the area at the time and no longer a gamekeeper.

As for pulling ferret away, absolutely correct in tryng to push them towards me when she had latched on and a lesson I found out to my cost :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back